Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need advice on a JD450c

mautore ยท 2007-09-17 18:53

Hi Guys, I recently purchased a JD 450c and could use a little help. Some of the track shoes are seized together, at the pin, creating a small kink in several areas of the track. The seller told me that it would eventually work itself out with use, but I'm afraid of damaging the machine and it makes for a VERY bumpy ride. Would anyone have any ideas for freeing them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1LowBoy2007-09-17 20:14

    If you just lubricate them with some mixture of drain oil, diesel fuel, or depending on the budget, good quality penetrating oil like PB Blaster, and concentrate it in between the links, you should free them up pretty easily. If in fact they won't unseize themselves after a day or two of getting soaked, you may apply a little heat with the torch to persuade them. I use an inexpensive garden sprayer that you pump up, and spray (liberally,) your oil/fuel/mystery oil mixture into the rollers, links and bushings. I've freed up several frozen tracks over the years this way, for minimal cost. Good luck!:drinkup

  2. #2John C.2007-09-17 20:23

    What you are describing is called bridging. I have seen in mostly on excavators that have been working around salt water and then sit for a period of time. I also happened a lot when the manufacturers started putting grease in the standard Sealed tracks. The grease would get hard and freeze the link. If your machine has the grease installed I'm afraid the only fix is to bust them down and clean them out. If they are the old dry type they might break loose over time. I do feel for the operator who has to run the machine that way.

  3. #3mautore2007-09-18 18:18

    Thanks Lowboy...Soaking in PB Blaster Thanks Lowboy, I picked up a few gallons of PB Blaster today and have sprayed the tracks. I'll treat it a couple of times and let you know how I made out. I may still try the diesel/oil mix but I wanted to try the good stuff first. If anythingn else occurs to you please let me know. Thanks a bunch..:drinkup

  4. #4LowBoy2007-09-18 18:44

    Good deal, mautore. If after a couple days things still don't break loose, then you'll have to put some heat to the problem pins to pursuade them a little more. You'll be fine.:drinkup I miss my 450C. It was a great tractor for around residential sites, mine was pretty mint condition for a 15 yr. old piece, and never gave me an ounce of problems.:cool2

  5. #5tuney4432007-09-18 23:21

    PB Blaster and some good hard hits from a sledgehammer will also help.

  6. #6Wulf2007-09-19 00:15

    Like John says they may have to be pressed apart, cleaned up and reassembled, it may be cheaper than you think if you have a good independent track press facility in your region. Firstly though you should check bushing wear and link height to see how much they are worn and if they are worth fixing... if the pins and bushings are a bit worn you could even turn them and increase long term life