Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Advice on a Michigan 125B

alskdjfhg ยท 2015-11-14 20:40

Thinking about a larger payloader than the the Case W-11 I've got, I'd like something in the 5-7 yd range. I've found this machine that is certainly cheap enough, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoAp0KEO7U&feature=youtu.be But the seller says it has transmission and brake issues. What would is the transmission like to work on? Are parts available? It looks to me like the machine is struggling in general, I'd guess the small bite is because of the weak transmission, but the hydraulics also look weak. Also would anyone know of the bucket size and weight more accurately than I can guess? Thanks for any and all help.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies13
  1. #1Mike Van2015-11-15 05:23

    Just my 2 cents, but I'd run the other way from one you know "has issues" Scrap metal is worth next to nothing these days. There are plenty of good used loaders out there, keep looking!

  2. #2oldseabee2015-11-15 07:04

    Bucket capacity General purpose 3.5-4 yards spade nose rock, 3.5 yard, light duty, 5 yard. machine weight 41,050-41,350 depending on bucket size with 23.5X25 tires. To get the capacity you are looking for you would have to go to 175B.

  3. #3alskdjfhg2015-11-15 08:03

    Well what call ya'll tell me about the 275B? Its double the price of this 125, but it looks to be in much nicer shape, and it's local.

  4. #4kshansen2015-11-15 09:04

    All depends on what you want to do with it. 275B is a pretty big machine so moving from job to job would be more work. But, if say it is going to be staying at one place like gravel bed or small quarry could be a good machine.

  5. #5alskdjfhg2015-11-15 09:38

    Well how big is the 275B? I'd guess half of the 475B. I can find size info for the 275C, but not the B. I was also reading that the CAT 988B is comparable in size. This machine would be staying at the farm. If I need to move a payloader, can't beat the mobility of the W-11 I've got, at 11k fits great on a gooseneck. I'm worried about the transmission though, never messed with one so not sure what I'd be getting into. Are they rebuildable? I have a manual machine shop and can make most parts, but support would be nice.

  6. #6oldseabee2015-11-15 12:24

    275B would weigh around 80,000 to 83,000 due to different options, depending on age could have NTA-855, or KT 1150, some went out with 8V-92 detroit. Trans is rebuildable clutchs can be rebuilt in frame. comparable to 988 cat,buckets size 7 to 8.5 yards depending on usage, most went out at 8 yards. Complex hydraulic system, Husco pilot operated system.

  7. #7kshansen2015-11-15 13:27

    Sounds right, Many years ago I had the fun of rebuilding the transmission in a 475 Michigan down near Richmond VA. one December. Actually not a bad job once all the hydraulic lines were out of the way! But then you do have to put them all back in! The 275B would be very similar just smaller parts and maybe a little less elbow room in places. One thing to keep in mind is if everything, transmission and hydraulics, stop working all of a sudden it is probably the fiber drive on the flywheel has failed. This would mean you are in for a little work as the converter has to come out to access the flywheel to replace it.

  8. #8RonG2015-11-15 15:17

    I ran a 275 for a season,it was a nice loader as Michigans go,they look like a preying mantis.mine had a 335 Cummins in it.It could load a dump truck pretty fast )Ron G

  9. #9alskdjfhg2015-11-15 16:46

    I'm letting my ignorance show, but what is "the fiber drive on the fly wheel"? Assuming this machine is decent, and actually is local, what's it worth?

  10. #10oldseabee2015-11-15 18:19

    There is an internal gear bolted to the flywheel that meshes with an external gear on the converter to drive the converter which drives the trans and all the pumps to operate the hydraulics and provides clutch pressure to the trans. The gear on the flywheel is made of a pressed fiber and over time can strip out which stops every thing so if you lose all hydraulics and all transmission activity that is where the problem probably is. you could have a broken main shaft in the converter but not likely. You still have to take the converter off to fix the problem what ever it is. Years ago they had a steel gear on the flywheel but it made too much noise when it got a little wear so they changed to fiber.

  11. #11kshansen2015-11-15 19:05

    These and other machines have a splined like connection on the flywheel that matches up to the splines on the torque converter. Took some digging on GOOGLE and found these: http://www.bdmfg.com/products_services/construction/ringgear.html These rings bolt to the flywheel and drive the torque converter and there by everything on the loader. It appears that the ones at this link above are not fiber but a heavy duty polymer, fancy word for plastic! Actually some smaller engines like in some JCB skid-steers and Snorkle-Lifts use something that would be a cross between a ring like these and a flex plat that drives their pumps. I know because I have replaced one in each of those machines! Better to have a fiber or plastic coupler fail than break a crank or main pump shaft or converter parts!

  12. #12alskdjfhg2015-11-15 19:30

    Ahh ok, so clear now. You see things like that in machine tool gear trains. Well it sounds like it's a pretty robust machine, and if it's in any sort of decent condition I doubt I would wear it out. I need to move aprox 5k yards of dirt for my building pad and then it would see limited hours as a yard loader. What would an old girl like this be worth? They are asking $13,900, thinking that's kinda high, but could be wrong.

  13. #13alskdjfhg2015-11-24 18:57

    I went to go see it today, what do ya'll think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ba4EKeDOU http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/mebunting/library/Clark 275B?sort=3&page=1 I couldn't find out where to gauge the lever of hydraulic oil so that worries me. Also I didn't see the machine drag anything or really lift anything, so it is possible that the transmission and hydraulic system is weak. It does look like that to me considering how high the engine had to be to lift and move. But I'm not an expert. The most obvious issues are the wear in the bearings for the lift cylinders and the leaking gland seal in on the main lift cylinders. Engine started up nice, they had to jump it, but it fired off on the first crank.