Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need advice on a one man land clearing operation excavator/haul-off truck and trailer combo.

DirtyDigger12 ยท 2024-05-28 07:55

so im about to buy a midsize excavator, a deere 135 or something comparable in size. in the 37k LB range. i want something to tow it with that can also haul material. i am considering a big tri-axle roll-off truck. what can anybody recommend that has the proper GVW and what trailer to haul the excavator. or would just a full size dump truck be better? id like to be able to drop cans on job sites. thankyou in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1mowingman2024-05-28 08:42

    Rolloff trucks can get really big in a hurry. They usually have a lot of overhang at the rear. I am not sure you could tow anything behind one. Hitch design seems like it would be a challenge.

  2. #2DirtyDigger122024-05-28 08:57

    ive seen them outfitted with heavy duty pintles, and i could do a shorter and taller 30yd can. thoughts on that?

  3. #3mowingman2024-05-28 09:45

    I have not seen that setup, but I am sure you could make it work. I think can size is something you would have to determine yourself. What will work best, and, what is readily available. I felt, in my case, that a roll off truck was just too big and heavy. I managed to find a tandem axle grapple truck with rear barn doors and a 22' long bed. I usually loaded it with the grapple, but sometimes I turned the grapple out of the way, and loaded it with a track hoe, or even a front end loader. Of course, I did not have the convenience of having extra cans I could load.