Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need advice on hydraulic thumb

Duckhunter82 ยท 2025-12-10 19:18

I have a komatsu pc360 that im using to clear land. I purchased a rake and a solesby hydraulic thumb 68" because the bucket is so slow and too large. I decided to add a coupler and little did i know my current thumb will be too short if I install coupler. I guess my options are purchased a new longer thumb that will be ~78 inches 90mm, or weld tines on my current thumb ~ 10 inches. Any advice? Im just a dude trying to have some fun and not spend a fortune. Lol

Replies7
  1. #1bam19682025-12-10 20:27

    Personally I would prob weld some tines on. The way I look at it your not out much if it doesn't work.

  2. #2j dirt2025-12-10 20:38

    I agree, weld 'er up!

  3. #3skyking12025-12-10 22:07

    3rded

  4. #4Duckhunter822025-12-10 22:13

    Will this weaken the thumb? Anyone done this and have pics of how it looked. Thanks for the help!

  5. #5Universal Parts2025-12-11 03:06

    I believe that the different dimensions result in different stress points after welding.

  6. #6kb17852025-12-12 17:38

    If you are a decent welder I'd try extending the tines.

  7. #7FWD2025-12-13 14:16

    I wanted a rake for my Hitachi ZX-160-5. It has a progressive Werk-Brau thumb. I ended up having a Rockland 48" very heavy duty thumb custom made. Rockland had the dealer and me take several different measurements and pictures of the thumb and hydraulic coupler. It is very heavy duty and works great, thumb goes between the tines and has stops so you can't extend the thumb too far into the tines. Big $$, but it is very well made and works great, never have to worry about pulling it apart! FWD