Need advice, were look for a 4x4 4 door work truck, preferably just cab and chassis. Leaning toward Fords, not the 6.0, maybe the 6.4? 6.7? I have some experience working on these guys but when it comes time to shelling out $$ I thought it would be smart to ask others. Moneys not a huge issue, I just want to make the right decision. For a tree service company, were probably going to put a dump bed on the back for chips. First hand thoughts?
Been a diehard GM guy for yrs, however GM don't make a big truck anymore!! So I bought a F550 with 6.7L! Compared to our old dmax I love the Ford, quite running, loads of power, ours has the 4.88 rear end which helps it to pull anything... I would also look at a 5500 ram!
You don't want anything to do with the 6.4. When a Ford mechanic tells you don't buy the 6.4 it's a piece of shitz I listen.
Stay away from the 6.4. The 6.0 can be made into a good motor, the 6.7 has a good reputation so far.
So far??? That motor Has been out for 7 years now. How Long of a track record Do You need to not qualify it as so far? Lol
300,000 miles.
6.0 can be made into a pretty reliable engine, 6.4 is horrible, 8-12 mpg on fuel and nothing to show for it, base engine issues, losing oil pressure with high idle time and popping rockers off. 6.7 around here is really common and I have seen alot of expensive repairs, then again, when you can't throw a rock without hitting one, you're gonna see them broke. My biggest problem with the 6.7 is repair costs when it breaks. Lose a hpfp and plan on spending about 12k on an entire fuel system if you're out of warranty. Also not real wild about the way you have to work on them, too high tech. You can't just drop an injector in one, you need to program that injector to the PCM so it knows the exact flow rates. Then again, I loved the old IDI diesels.
I'd stick to an 05/06/07 6.0. They're good trucks. You just have to know someone who knows what they're looking at.
I've had good service out of my '13 6.7 F350 with 75K miles. That being said I've had great service out of my '01 F250 7.3 approaching 200K miles. I would like a new truck this year and hand down my '13, if I do buy it'll be another 350.
After 2 dismal failures it gonna take a while to trust any new diesel in a Ford truck. The 6.0 and 6.4 put a huge stress on a lot of small operators.
I'm very pleased with the power and dependability of my 6.7 F350 also.