Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need advice on the best equipment for my job.

boatskipper ยท 2016-05-27 01:37

Not sure if I posted this in the correct forum, but here goes... I bought 25 acres and built a house, 20 acres is very heavily wooded and we want it selectively cleared so we can eventually run a few head of cattle. The trees are medium to large. Most will be about 12" in diameter, but some of the bigger ones are closer to 24". All hardwoods and a few cedar. I've ran a tractor before (grew up on a family owned 30,000 acre ranch). But I've never run any heavy equipment. I want to do this job myself I don't want to pay to get it done. I'm in no hurry and have all the time in the world to get the job complete. First off, I plan on buying a 35HP tractor with a loader and brush hog because I need the hog for mowing, the brush is so thick a regular mower won't get it done. I'm wondering if I can use the backhoe attachment (think of a Kubota compact tractor) to remove stumps after the trees are down with my chainsaw. I know this will be slow going. But I'm not sure how effective the small backhoe attachment would do on the larger stumps. Is this possible to do with the tractor? If not what is the best all round equipment to use? I'm trying to stay under $20K for the other piece of equipment. I've read on the forum about a crawler loader and excavator. But the excavators in my price range are the compact track loader types with a bucket. They really aren't going to be any more use than digging around the stumps, because they just have the backhoe. Not sure if they'll be any better than the backhoe on the tractor. Dozers are an option too, but I'd be looking at really old ones and I'm not real handy when it comes to repairing things, so I'm concerned about that. So what would you suggest? I'm open to all options other than hiring it done. I'm a do it yourselfer type guy and don't like to hire people to do things for me. I'd appreciate all suggestions and comments. Please feel free to suggest equipment I haven't mentioned here. My ideal situation is to find something that can do everything I need and not buy a separate tractor, but I don't know of anything that can do the tree removal and also pull a brush hog. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Replies15
  1. #1Delmer2016-05-27 08:08

    No, I would never recommend a 35hp Kubota with a backhoe to remove stumps bigger than lilacs, you can dig around them forever, at some point you have to rock it back and forth, break it free and LIFT the stump out. Did you use any 35 horse Kubotas on the ranch? and are the cattle picky enough that they won't graze around stumps? What am I missing here?

  2. #2hetkind2016-05-27 11:21

    Not that the cattle won't graze around stumps, it is hard to mow with stumps in the way. I hate to say it, but for that level of clearing, I would first remove via chainsaw, anything over 12" or so, depends how good you are with the front bucket. Then a large dozer with a root plow should bring up most of the roots and stumps. Then the logs can be turned into either cord wood, chips or timber an the tops piled and burned. Is there a logging crew that will buy standing timber? Or do like I did...JD450B crawler loader with 4 in 1 bucket and JD9300 backhoe attachment. The front bucket and blade will get most of the stumps and the backhoe will dig the rest. Once loose the front bucket will just grab the stump in the clam, the stack and burn. I paid 10k for the machine, then had to put 20k more into undercarriage and steering clutches. Now I am slowly fixing little things, cutting edges, teeth, rain cap and such. I looked at the 35hp Kubota, and knew they were way too small for this type of work. Best of luck. Howard

  3. #3LT-x72016-05-27 14:30

    I agree the little kubota won't be enough machine for this kind of job. Have you considered renting a excavator or dozer?

  4. #4walkerv2016-05-27 16:08

    farm I used to be a caretaker of we had selectivly clear cut by a lumber company and they paid owner for the wood but it was put in the contract that they were to pile the trimmings and tops in piles so they could be burned off and they took out any larger stumps that were in the way and put in there own pile to decay , is that an option where you are at ?

  5. #5boatskipper2016-05-27 17:59

    Ha, no the Kubotas don't have a place on the ranch. We use John Deere's. The biggest is 425HP and our smallest was about 100HP. As far as the grazing... Yes, they will, but the land has been completely neglected since... well, forever. There are so many trees and the brush is so thick that you can't even get a four wheeler through there. Once I have it all cleared out I'd like to plant bermuda and smooth it out. It's not something that has to be done, but just something I'd like to have done.

  6. #6boatskipper2016-05-27 18:02

    Thanks. Yes, I did call today and the local equipment rental place will rent a "mini" excavator for $700 a week which includes delivery. He said the excavator was this model ( http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/rental/equipment/excavators/mini-excavators/13971151.html ). Is that big enough to handle this or do I need to go bigger?

  7. #7boatskipper2016-05-27 18:05

    I called a logger (only one I could find in my area) and he didn't act interested. He said the job wasn't big enough to come in and selectively cut. He said he'd come in and take what he wanted, but wouldn't dig up stumps. I told him to forget it. Maybe I should consider checking with a few more.

  8. #8Jonas3022016-05-27 18:30

    consider buying or renting a skidsteer compact track loader you can buy or rent a mulcher to chop most the brush so you can get around to the trees run a mower or then use your tractor on the mower you can rent a stump grinder for the skidsteer and take care of your stumps without leaving holes we ground 5 acres of stumps in 2 days some 3 foot oak trees Or chainsaw the trees put your stump chain on clean them up the ground as good as you can and let the stumps rot there are products to pour on to rot faster The thing is with heavy equipment is the repair costs and even if you were handy with equipment the parts cost would blow you away or you could get lucky and not have any trouble ....

  9. #9CM19952016-05-27 19:05

    Boatskipper I'm going to be blunt and say I think your over your head here in realizing what it's going to take to get 20 acres selectively cleared and get into any shape to run a few head of cattle on it. Don't get me wrong I'm not being snarky, just blunt. The excavator you linked is one of the smallest in the Cat line and will be the equivalent of plowing a 20 acre field with a pick axe and hoe. The equipment choice I would look at is a 953 track loader as it's a jack of all trades. It can clear and grub and pretty much handle the stump size you describe. Finding a dependable one in the $20K range may pose a challenge but they are out there. Also look at 955's, they are older and a more difficult to learn how to operate but some nice ones can be found below $20K. Both will handle what you want to do. Whatever avenue you choose it's going to be a sizable investment either hiring it out or doing it yourself. For example if you purchase a machine for $20K you will have $1K an acre in cost before any diesel is put in the tank or repairs, not to mention your time but for sake of discussion value that at $0. Of course any machine you buy will have residual value but I wouldn't plan on buying a machine for $20K ,doing what you need to do and then recouping your $20K at the end. Sure it can be done but we're talking heavy equipment and that's a crap shoot with used iron.

  10. #10movindirt2016-05-27 21:20

    I'd have to agree with CM, using anything smaller than a 953/955 or a 20 ton excavator would just be plain ridiculous. At 20k you could probably find a older 225 Cat excavator that would do the clearing too if you wanted that option. Are you going to burn the debris or bury it? Even if burying it you might be best off with a track loader so you have something to spread the spoil pile with. I would not waste money *buying* something to bush hog it with, go rent a compact track loader and a brush mower for a day or 2 and get it done.

  11. #11Welder Dave2016-05-27 23:53

    An important thing to remember is that clearing heavy brush and tree's is dangerous and unpredictable work and not something for a new operator. It's along the same lines as buying a welder and building a trailer to pull down the highway as your first project. The thing with hiring it out is a good operator will do more in a day than you could do in a month and give you a much nicer finished job. Is this a 5 year project? Having a logger come in to take what he wants could still help pay for work but just make sure he cleans up his work and doesn't leave a bigger mess. I've read a few horror stories of land owners having a logger come in and just leave a mess. As far as a machine, a 10 ton and preferably larger excavator with a thumb and a root rake would do a good job.

  12. #12boatskipper2016-05-28 02:27

    I definitely hear what you're saying, and for the most part I agree with you. I am over my head here. But I've gotten a pretty good start on it over the past 6 months with my trusty old chainsaw and a lot of sweat, but now I live out here because we built a house and have more time to dedicate to it. I'm not really a "hire it done" kind of guy. We all had to start somewhere and if I can learn to run an 8 wheel John Deere I figure I can learn to handle an excavator. I plan on just continuing what I've been doing, cutting down trees with my saw and dragging them to a burn pile. My main concern is just getting the stumps out once I get the trees down, which is why I wasn't sure how big of an excavator I'd need for the stumps. I have looked at a couple of crawlers and have given serious consideration to buying one and reselling it when I get the job done, but haven't made up my mind. Most of the ones in my price range are at least 30 years old. I may just end up renting a stump grinder after I get the timber out of the way.

  13. #13boatskipper2016-05-28 02:32

    I had a logger come out and look and he basically said there wasn't enough money here for him clean up all of the stumps, he just wants to take the timber give me a little money and leave a mess. My uncle has 1600 acres and let a logger come in three years ago and take a big section out of his place. They all but ruined his place. I mean his place was beautiful and now you can't even drive a four wheeler across the areas they cut. I don't know why he didn't make them clean up. Anyways, I have seen how careful you have to be about choosing your logger.

  14. #14Welder Dave2016-05-28 11:41

    There's a big difference between driving a 4 wheel drive tractor and operating an excavator. You need to be an experienced operator if you're working around tree's. Leaving the stumps taller gives more leverage to pull them out. Buying a machine and hoping to get your money back after the job is done usually ends in disaster. When you buy a used machine it will probably need some things fixed. Depending on what those things are can sink you right there. Your uncle should have insisted on a written contract the logger cleans it up to his satisfaction. Maybe have the logger put a refundable deposit down that they don't get back until you're satisfied. 20 acres is a big area to clear.

  15. #15bam19682016-05-28 13:27

    I'm guessing your ultimate goal is to end up with a 20 acre pasture with a hand full of shade trees on it?? If so, I think I would start looking for an older 215 or 225 Cat excavator as movindirt suggested. Preferrably with some type of thumb. They can be found close to your price range. Buying any used equipment comes with a certain amount of risk and will probably have some repairs before you get done with it. With a little luck there won't be anything catastrophic happen. Just remember that with clearing trees can be very dangerous. Take your time always be watching for the unexpected because those tree branches always seem to go flying through the air at the oddest times when your not expecting it.