Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help?

hadrian ยท 2016-05-27 13:19

Hello out there. I am seeking advice. I have a contract to demolish four separate buildings on a one acre site consisting of a single family frame and siding home, a 2300 s.f. strip mall built out of poured concrete and cement block, a two storey wood frame and stucco four-plex and a two storey brick duplex. I'd like to read some opinions as to what kind of used equipment I should buy that would best suit my needs and not be too hard to sell once I'm finished. Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1hetkind2016-05-27 14:37

    For a single job I would simply rent...I would think that a mediumish tracked excavator with a thumb (and a hammer to break concrete) and a wheel loader would be about right, or if you are going cheap, a good sized backhoe with an changeable hammer attachment. We did a tremendous amount of demolition of reinforced concrete buildings with a full sized excavator with a hydraulic thumb, a excavator with a hammer and a track loader. We moved from a wheel loader to a track loader after putting too many pieces of rebar through the rubber tires. If you buy, I suspect the renovation costs would eat you alive. Howard

  2. #2hadrian2016-05-27 16:08

    thank you Howard

  3. #3movindirt2016-05-27 21:26

    I'd rent a 20 or 25 ton excavator with a thumb, should be able to accomplish that project. I gotta ask though, why did you bid on and get the contract for a job you don't know what equipment you need to do it with? And another question, if you don't mind me asking, how much you bid to do all this work for?

  4. #4Welder Dave2016-05-27 23:31

    It does seem odd to have a contract for a job when you don't have the equipment or know what equipment to use. Do you have any experience with demolition? Most of it, there's a lot of recycling so everything is sorted. You can make extra money that way too. Buying and selling equipment is a gamble. Do you have trucks to haul the demo away?