Currently using a CST/Berger LM30 with Trimble GCR-2 receivers. Works good but range is very limited. Any suggestions on brand/model for better range?
I would suggest Topcon or AGL for range. I got mine at engineersupply and they seem to have the best prices. If you are using an LM30 I think thats a manually leveling unit that has hand-screws. I woudl suggest you move to an auto-leveling unit with more range. Be careful though, some manufacturers advertise their lasers range using the word diameter! you need to make sure you're reading apples-to-apples. Really its RADIUS (not diameter) that you're looking for. Just be careful when reading the specs. Usually lasers double their working range while using a detector (aka receiver) since a detector is more sensitive than the human eye. If working outdoors you'll have to buy a model with a detector, or buy a detector separately, but keep in mind its best to buy a unit that includes the detector so they are matched up and warranted together. Hope this helps.