Probably a dumb question, but do laser receivers really care if the beam is red or green?
Yes. A red beam receiver will not read a green beam. Don't know why though.
Red lasers and green lasers are different light spectrums and the receivers (aka "laser detectors") only work with their own color. For example, red detectors only work with red lasers, and green detectors only work with green lasers. As a general rule (in case you or someone is wondering), theres no difference in green versus red. Red is better seen outdoors and carries further. Green is better seen indoors and is more crisp indoors. Green dies out quickly outdoors and I would not recommend green lasers for outdoor work. Really a green laser is not necessary to have but if you only work indoors (cabinet makers for example) then green is the way to go. And, if you're on a busy job site and multiple lasers are being used, sometimes its nice to have green since most guys have red. You'll stand out and know your line is your line. Hope this helps.
Red light has a wavelength of 620–750 nm and Green has a wavelength of 495–570 nm. Speed enforcement laser and GM compact trucks/vans/SUV's are both 904 nanometers, which is why your laser detector keeps going off whenever a Trailblazer in front of you hit's it's brakes.
And I think that the military typically uses red on their monitors like they put in tanks and ships. I think I've read or have been told red is easier to see at greater distances due to the spectrum (frequency) it has. Just Google "why military uses red light" and see what you find.
Well, the military uses red light because it has less impact on night vision. On the other issue, longer wavelengths (lower frequencies) attenuate more slowly over distance.
Thank you for the replies gentlemen, and I apologize for my late reply. And thanks for keeping me from making a purchase that wouldn't work for me. I have an older Dual Dozer that utilizes two Trimble GCR-2 receivers which works very well in close quarters with the LM-30 laser, but over 50' - 75' it's hit and miss. Correct, it's manual level with thumb screws but once it's raised 6' - 7' on the tripod any error is multiplied. It's also a PITA. I'll be looking at some new red ones. Tiger Direct seems to have attractive prices. Thanks again all. PS: Blue seems to be more and more prevalent for night vision in the maritime industry.