Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need feedback on which Cat Track Loader would be best for Farm Use?

LOFAYTX · 2022-01-19 20:58

I have not went to look at the loaders. Info I have is only what I been told. #1 Cat 933 PS $14,000.00 I would be able to haul this loader myself. It need's new rails and sprocket. #2 Cat 951 PS $7,500.00 This is the loader that overheats after running for on hour. I like the engine model 3304 in the machine. #3 Cat 955K PS $22,000.00 Has new rails and sprocket segments. Machine looks good but wondering why someone spent the money on new undercarriage parts and then wants to sell.

Replies41
  1. #1LOFAYTX2022-01-19 20:59

    I don't have photo of the 955K.

  2. #2LOFAYTX2022-01-19 21:42

    I found out the Cat 955K is sold

  3. #3Tyler d4c2022-01-19 22:05

    Out of the 3 I would say the 933 personally

  4. #4hseII2022-01-19 22:12

    What all are you planning to do with this loader?

  5. #5Cat9772022-01-19 22:52

    I didn't dig, but it seems the 933 isn't PS its either direct drive or Hydrostatic drive. I think that ones a hydro. I think at 70 hp like Tylerd4c says looks good. The tracks may counter rotate that would be slick, run it around like a skid steer. You won't be knocking down big trees. I can't remember, but the 931C is what I'd be looking for. That's a earlier model I'm pretty sure. Welder Dave has a 931B send him a conversation link from up on top right of page. That's a good deal bigger for trees.

  6. #6LOFAYTX2022-01-20 01:22
  7. #7LOFAYTX2022-01-20 01:23

    This is a picture of the shifter on the 933. Is this PS or Hydro?

  8. #8Tones2022-01-20 01:45

    Powershift, the lever next to it is the throttle

  9. #9DMiller2022-01-20 07:32

    If intend to use periodically just for small jobs the 933 will do well, the 951 overheat becomes a money pit and as both need UC they will both be a initial expense you may not be able to justify. The 955 would have been a better overall use machine and is why it is already gone with new UC on it.

  10. #10Tinkerer2022-01-20 08:53

    If you are in no hurry to get a machine, look for a decent 955. X2 on what Dave said. The 955 size is the better choice.

  11. #11Cat9772022-01-20 09:18

    Not being in a hurry is great if you can. These old machines are like a second marriage your entering into a long term relationship and there's usually baggage! Find one you really like! The 955L has the 3304 engine, the 955K a D330 if that matters to you. The 955 is more common than a 951 so parts may be easier to find.

  12. #12LOFAYTX2022-01-20 20:09

    Load Dump truck and move fill dirt.

  13. #13DMiller2022-01-21 05:57

    A decent 953 A or B early model could possibly be had for similar money Do not discount newer tech machines as to viability

  14. #14LOFAYTX2022-01-21 07:25

    I have been told the these unit are hydrostatic drive and can be very expensive to repair. Were any of them built with PS transmissions?

  15. #15DMiller2022-01-21 07:56

    Hydros are expensive for repairs to the drive works but are very dependable, a early machine likely to have had the trans rebuilt some time ago would last on a farm seemingly forever. Less issues with components as clutch packs, seals in the packs and brakes components. Know of a A series here that sits for months, guy starts it and a hour later is moving materials as if been ran day before. Some as the 963 I routinely use can counter rotate tracks spin on a dime. Very much more user friendly than the old PS transmissions just have to allow hydraulics warm up prior to use. Visibility across bucket is also a plus.

  16. #16955cat2022-01-21 09:11

    Any of the older machines will require some seat time for operator, poor visibility and feel for the machine takes time.Not very user friendly, l’ve operated many hours and tell people that I can just now hit the ground with the bucket. Most people in my area have gotten away from track loaders and gone with mini excavators and skid steers. I thank less skill,cheaper to move,less fuel consumption.

  17. #17James Sorochan2022-01-21 09:47

    LOFAYTX, What are your soil conditions like down there? Water table? I'm guessing its dry but track loaders are not good in soft ground. I have a Komatsu D57S that used to do water and sewer work back filling and levelling trenches. There handy machines.

  18. #18Cat9772022-01-21 11:10

    A person would want to think about where are the construction service operations are. If you need to fix it quick who can help you with parts/repair. Cats the closest to me and the parts guy I work with is excellent he is interested in digging to help me out. Some especially newer machines have the LPG low pressure ground contact tracks (extra wide track pads). You can't add these later and are rare or not available on old Cats. I like the old Cats, but my entire place is on high ground. DMiller may have the best idea depending on price and availability. If you get a hydro. 1st have a experienced guy go out with you, run it and work it hard till its HOT and you can see its still working good. 50% on tracks might last a life time on a farm.

  19. #19Welder Dave2022-01-21 15:38

    I see in your other post the 933 brakes are wet so that confirms it is a PS trans.The Cat PS transmissions in the smaller loaders (931, 935, 933) are generally pretty reliable. The filter could be cut apart to look for debris. Good undercarriage is a huge plus on a used machine. A smaller machine could still cost close to 10K to replace undercarriage. The 933 is smaller but a lot newer and the price doesn't seem too out of line even though it needs undercarriage. Owner of 955 likely put new undercarriage on so he could get a decant price when selling. Hydro machines are about 2 1/2 times more productive than PS machines. Expensive to fix but steering clutch and brakes on a PS can be pricey too. I had the steering clutches rebuilt and it was about $3500 per side. Not something that's easy to do yourself as you need a press and can cause serious damage if done wrong. I think the 951 at $7500 likely needs a lot of work and would look for something better.

  20. #20hseII2022-01-21 20:00

    You were told correctly. HPCUs were well over $20k 20 years ago.

  21. #21hseII2022-01-21 20:04

    55H or 55L unless you are going pro, then a 953/63 or B model if you’re going to run it for hire.

  22. #22LOFAYTX2022-01-23 22:09

    Well I went and looked at the Cat 951 and also a Cat 941 today. I made 600 miles. The 951C runs well and does not push coolant out of the radiator when hot only the temp gauge goes up when worked hard for an hour or more. I don't think it a blown head gasket. Plugged radiator, water pump or torque convertor problem. I also looked at a 941C that a guy bought and then never used because the tracks came off on left side. I got them back on and then being a welder he welded a spacer and stops behind the idler on the track frame. The right side has the same treatment. For now I did not bite on either one.

  23. #23LOFAYTX2022-01-23 22:11

    On the 941 correction he put the track back on and did the welder thing.

  24. #24Bluox2022-01-24 12:40

    I've been doing equipment repair for a while, and this is by far the most cobbled up undercarriage I've ever seen. Bob

  25. #25John Griffin2022-01-29 21:50

    My vote would be the 933. We have a 931C for farmish use. It does our tasks very well. I know a bigger machine would do some of them a bit faster but for your own stuff, who cares. They are still faster at certain tasks than just about anything else. The 931 weighs around 18k, I would assume a 933 would be close. One reason we went with this machine is so we can move it ourselves. We are currently looking for a 12ton tag trailer. Our 10 ton wont quite do it.

  26. #26charles walton2022-02-02 04:03

    Depends on whether you like to tinker. If you can get the 941 for $5k and just go ahead and fix the undercarriage right it would be a good farm tractor if it runs out good otherwise. Same for the 951.

  27. #27DMiller2022-02-02 06:09

    Tinkering on yellow iron is pretty expensive even for second hand or aftermarket pieces with these already 40+ year old machines.

  28. #28charles walton2022-02-02 09:43

    That's true, I have spent $1k on the left side of my 941b and only put Final bearings,seals,roller frame bolts and wear strips and rebuilt the waterpump,now I'm doing the right side and it's not quite as bad hopefully. It doesn't appear to need bearings and the sprocket is still tight on the hub,I had to replace the hub on the left side. I think the 941b is the ideal tracktor for occasional work around the farm though and you can still make some money with one if you know how. I disagree that a hydro tractor can produce 2 1/2 times the work unless you are increasing the size. A 943 will produce slightly more in 8 hours and be easier on the operator but it's not a dramatic difference,and they are hard to find in good condition and cost at least $20k for a good one in todays market.

  29. #29charles walton2022-02-02 09:48

    I have spent many hundreds of hours on both PS and Hydrostat tractors and if the size is the same you can produce MAYBE 50% more work in 8 hours with the HYDRO tractor,definitly not 2 1/2 times more.

  30. #30charles walton2022-02-02 09:51

    That 933 won't do the same amount of work as the 941 or 951 especially if you have any sizable trees to take down.

  31. #31DMiller2022-02-02 16:42

    IF can find a decent one, a 943 early model would be a Awesome mid sized hydro and well within expense limits IF look into maintenance history.

  32. #32charles walton2022-02-02 17:14

    The'43's I've been seeing for sale down this way are in the $25k range.

  33. #33Cat9772022-02-02 21:30

    "IF can find a decent one, a 943 early model would be a Awesome mid sized hydro and well within expense limits IF look into maintenance history". From Cat get some oil sample bottles and their manual suction pump for oil samples. Might cost $100, good place to use for any machine. Try to see if its oil just been changed, ie. the sample comes back too darn clean. The test can show you what's coming apart. You could post the results here and someone that's familiar with that machine would probably give you some tips if your not sure. If you buy it keep the oil fresh and the filters changed on schedule.

  34. #34ChrisUK2022-02-06 07:49

    Never have truer words been written

  35. #35101partner2022-02-18 10:04

    We use the 955L pictured in my avatar on a small cow/calf operation in the Granbury Tx area. Originally it was used to clear approx 1 million (slight exaggeration) mesquite trees that had taken over the grazing acreage when my father's health begin to fail. Older brother has plans to dig new stock tank with it, but for right now it is used mostly in erecting steel for new "barn" structures. As others have said, tinkering with yellow iron can be both addictive and expensive. Good luck.

  36. #36ChiefMo2024-08-22 18:54

    Do you still have the info on the 951C? I just purchased one and used it two days before losing the (discontinued) injector pump. I have been trying to find the injector pump now for longer than I got to use the loader. 4N2814 is the part number.

  37. #37Welder Dave2024-08-22 19:47

    You lost the IP or it quit working? If it's still there maybe it can be rebuilt and the best guy to do it is on this forum.

  38. #38charles walton2024-08-23 13:31

    For future reference,who would that be?

  39. #39ChiefMo2024-08-23 15:17

    i pulled the cover and the casing was busted out around the first valve with one of the plungers stuck up, roller bearing and shrapnel in the bottom. finally found a core in MO which was shipped out today. I will likely need the rebuild and timing assistance on the reinstall when the time comes.

  40. #40Nige2024-08-23 15:19

    @thepumpguysc

  41. #41Welder Dave2024-08-23 16:31

    You must not read many of the threads on the different forums. There are a few members who are outstanding in their field of work. For injection pumps thepumpguysc is one of those members.