Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Ford 555D Extendahoe Removal Help

kinghyco · 2022-06-29 21:13

I have a 1994 Ford 555D backhoe with an extendahoe. The last time I used it one of the extendahoe hoses started leaking profusely. I assume I will have to remove the extendahoe housing to get to the hoses. I have watched videos but most are of Case machines. I have not been able to find a video of this with a Ford backhoe. Does anyone have any experience with Ford extendahoes that can offer some advice or diagrams. I do not have another machine to aid in removal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-06-30 10:25

    Welcome to HEF, kinghyco ! I don't have any experience with Fords. If no one responds with the info you need you will need to get a service manual. Probably should even if someone does. You will almost certainly need it sooner or later.

  2. #2kinghyco2022-06-30 18:58

    Thanks for the welcome Tinkerer. I bought a very expensive manual from Ford when I purchased the backhoe. It does not even mention the extendahoe function. Hoping to gain some knowledge from someone on this forum

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-06-30 20:34

    That is quite amazing and disappointing that the extend-a-hoe isn't covered in the service manual. I am wondering if there is another manual that is dedicated to the backhoe only.

  4. #4Check Break2022-07-01 02:57

    Unless someone has modified your dipper stick, both hoses attach at the top of the stick, one to the cylinder and the other to a steel line running up from the bottom of the cylinder. Not as easy as it sounds but you don't have to pull the stick apart to change a stock hose. Replace them both with Parker Toughcover and cover them with nylon sleeves and they'll outlast you.

  5. #5Swetz2022-07-01 06:51

    Below is the drawing from Messick's site. It pictorially shows what Check Break said above.

  6. #6kinghyco2022-07-01 14:09

    Thank you very much Check Brake and Swetz for your replies. It will be great if I don't have to remove the extendahoe housing. I was hoping to find an exploded drawing similar to this. I will be out of town for the next two weeks, but I will get right on this when I get back. Very much appreciated!

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-07-01 14:19

    https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...56875BD6/E1F7724F-E6BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

  8. #8Check Break2022-07-01 16:23

    You may have to remove a sheet metal guard or a pin to get better access. It's been a long time since I did one. In any event, it will be obvious when you get to it.

  9. #9BigMac432024-02-06 10:52

    No sheet metal guard to remove an can’t reach inner hose connection?

  10. #10Tinkerer2024-02-06 11:45

    Welcome to HEF, BigMac43 ! What is it you are trying to do ? Sometimes the hose can be left on a cylinder and the other end can be disconnected to aid in the removal. I have no idea if that is possible for you to do tho.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2024-02-07 12:57

    Get creative. lol

  12. #12NC Mechanic2024-10-07 16:25

    Kinghyco, Did you ever get the hose replaced. What did you have to do?

  13. #13cosmaar12024-10-07 18:13

    He hasn’t been logged in for over 2 years. I doubt you will be getting an answer.