Just got back from hearing the bad news about my 580c and I am devastated, I have only had the machine for about a year and a half and recently is started to run very poorly now I find out a head gasket blew and cracked the block..... Now I need to find and engine or a block so I guess my question is does anybody know where there is a good used engine or block or can the block be repaired? I cant go without now so I have to do something it makes me sick to think I might have to scrap the old girl PLEASE HELP!!
I feel your pain Cdnky; Is the engine a 188 or 207 ? Gas or diesel ? Where is the block broken? Is it between the cylinder bores ? You will have to decide how much money you want to spend to get it running again. Internet search engines are your friend because everything you need for it is available somewhere. You just have to spend some time looking for your parts or a shortblock , or even a complete engine assembly. You have several options to choose from to get it running again.
the engine is a 207 I need a hoe so it will be cheaper to fix this rather than buy another one the machine is not to bad of shape I have been searching,email etc hopefully I can come up with something soon. Thanks
The block is cracked between the cylinders has anyone ever had one repaired? Can it be welded?
The crack between liners has been discussed before. I suppose if you searched long enough you could find the thread. A member named Phil contributed to that discussion. What area and why did the head gasket leak ? Was it where the crack in the block is ? If it wasn't, it may be worth trying to reseal it with a new head gasket. Unless some other serious problem caused the gasket to leak. In regards to welding it, I don't think that is an option because of distortion to the casting and the cylinder bores. It would most likely make a boat anchor out of it. If you do an internet search for -- Case 207 block -- you will find a lot of information as to repairing it and even changing the engine to a Case 188. Those engines were put in thousands of different farm tractors and construction machines. Used engines are widely available if you want to go that route. There are two posts in another forum from people who say that the crack is not a problem. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=case&th=104567 .
thanks I will continue to look now the mechanic said the head gasket blew where the crack is I continued to use it and it cracked the block but the interesting thing is I bought the machine 2 years ago this spring from a shaddy mechanic and what my mechanic tells me was it was apart not long ago and when they put it back together nothing was torqued or anything so is it possible that its been cracked the entire time and the gasket finally blew causing the engine only to fire on 2 cylinders? I put probably 400 hrs on it could it go that long?
Sure ; it is possible that the block was cracked before when that dummy did the hatchet job to it before you bought it. He made one of two catastrophic mistakes. One your mechanic has already told you that the head bolts were never properly torqued after he put the head back on, or if bolts the weren't tightened in the proper sequence and evenly he didn't re-torque them after it had been run for the period of time the service manual recommends. Plus the valve/rocker arm gaps were never set properly under those conditions. I don't know if you would want to take a chance and try to have a new head gasket installed correctly or if you want to find a different block. Keep in mind that the cracking between cylinders is not uncommon with those motors. So; be careful if you go with a used or even a rebuilt motor that could have the same problem. that is when a warranty is really a must have thing.
OK this is helping me a lot with my decision and I appreciate it, I am finding more motors but still no blocks I have found some with a 1 year guarantee I am just trying to go the cheapest route (under $4000) but I also only want to do this once, I only use the machine for my own personal use so it should last me with a decent engine.
That is what I would do. A bonus is, you will have your old engine for a parts source. A good used crankshaft alone is worth quite a bit of money. Are you looking at complete engines with fuel injection pump,manifolds,water pump and other parts on it ? Be real specific with the seller about what you are getting when dealing on the purchase of a used one.
Well actually they want my used motor and I do believe the ones im looking at do not come with much they are all rebuilt motors there are a few but the cheapest one actually I just called about the fellow told me he got it in a few months ago they drove it off the trailer but he told me to call back Monday so that he can check some things over and that one is not rebuilt but it is $1300 cheaper so I have to wait to see about that one the others I know have a 1 year guarantee but they are completely rebuilt engines,just the engine.
I would buy a rebuilt one. A good rebuilder is going to check things like the camshaft and lifter condition and he would recondition the crankshaft if it needed it. That $1300.00 is barely enough to cover the cost to remove and replace a used motor that may be a junker, or that goes south on you later on in time. Besides that, consider that the $1300 savings just eliminated all the new parts and machine work a rebuilder would be selling you.
Ok perfect I think that's what I will do any idea what to use to ship the motor? a pallet of some I suppose they use....
I myself had only one big item shipped by a trucking company. It was a used front axle for my 680C. They took care of strapping it on a pallet and hiring a trucking company to ship it half way across the US. My grandson bought a rebuilt engine for his truck and the rebuilder also made all the trucking arrangements to get it to him. Just be sure to look for any damage that may have occurred while the motor was being shipped BEFORE the truck driver leaves. The shipping costs in both of these situations was quite reasonable. The people you are buying from should give you all details as to getting the engine to you and sending your old one back to them.
Perfect thanks