Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help

Andy Carpenter · 2020-04-19 11:21

I found a Toyota 2SDK8 locally that I've test driven and want to purchase. It has 1738 original hours on it, hydraulics are smooth and tight, engine sounds great. I just have nothing to go by on the internet as far as what it's worth. Can anyone help me with a rough estimate on it's worth? The owner is asking 7,500.00 for it.

Replies13
  1. #1Andy Carpenter2020-04-19 11:24

    I want to say it's between 1991 and 1996. The serial number plate is missing. Someone did a good job restoring it, looks great but didn't put the plate back on after painting it I'm guessing.

  2. #2Andy Carpenter2020-04-19 20:19

    Anyone? I'm not looking for anything set in stone. I'd just like to know if it's a good purchase. I can't find anything on the net regarding pricing for these things. Can anyone elaborate on what they paid for theirs even?

  3. #3ThreeCW2020-04-19 22:02

    There are only about 10 posts on a Toyota 2SDK8 here at HEF.com in the last 10 years. You will likely find more information about this skid steer using an internet search. You might want to compare to other makes and models of the same size, age, hours and features.

  4. #4sims2020-04-20 06:09

    I looked at one years ago; and like you; found little info or parts support. I think they might be considered gray market. Since then I have found that parts could possibly be had through Toyota Fork Lift suppliers. I passed on it and found a 1845C. I would keep looking for something else. SimS

  5. #5Andy Carpenter2020-04-20 09:21

    Yeah, I've tried doing that and I'd say he's giving it to me for a decent price based on other models of the same weight et cetera. I'm just torn over the fact that I can't find any.

  6. #6Andy Carpenter2020-04-20 09:27

    Yes Sims, I felt the same exact way as you did until I called Case and the Toyota forklift guys locally to me and both of them said they could service it and get parts with no problems since it's a 2J engine. I was just more concerned about why I couldn't find any on the internet for sale or otherwise. Kinda makes you feel weird about buying it. Then again, could be one of the best machines made. I did stumble over some guy from Australia somewhere on the internet saying how they've had them for 20+ years and have only done minimal general maintenance on them. ugh... decisions decisions!!

  7. #7Andy Carpenter2020-04-20 10:47

    I appreciate the responses from you guys a great deal. If anyone is reading this and has purchased one of these in the past few years let me know. Stay safe out there everyone.

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-04-20 19:50

    Look into parts for the drive system and hydraulics. Engines are much more universal.

  9. #9seville0092020-04-21 18:43

    Ask the guy who’s selling it where he got it from, what info he has on it, where does he get his parts, etc. he may have alot of answers (might not too, of course) may have gone through this same thought process when he bought it

  10. #10ThreeCW2020-04-22 01:28

    Andy, It sounds like there are not a lot of these skid steers in North America and hence replacement parts may not be readily available. If you are still considering the 2SDK8, here are a few interesting sites: https://www.z-car.com/SDK8/Toyota_Skid_Steer_sdk6-8_repair_manual.pdf https://www.z-car.com/blog/toyota-sdk8/toyota-sdk8 http://www.2sdk8.com/

  11. #11tractormech2020-04-22 02:00

    You'll be money ahead to get something you can get parts and service for. That thing sounds like an oddball of sorts and I think you'll be better served with a more common machine I'd pass.

  12. #12philm2020-12-12 13:14

    I found a lot of part OEM numbers for my 2SDK8 on www.Shop.toyotaforklift.com If you put your model and frame number in the skidsteer parts breakdown comes up. Good source to get OEM numbers for aftermarket parts.

  13. #13philm2020-12-12 13:42

    I'm having problems starting my Toyota 2SDK8. It has a 2J diesel engine. Replaced starter 3yrs ago, new battery checked wires from battery and to starter and they seem good. Cables are good. Bypassed key to a push button starter to start thinking maybe it's the key and still issues. When I try to start I hear starter engage (solenoid engage on starter) but starter motor won't turn and won't turn engine over intermitally. Had starter tested at local auto store and seems good but no volt draw or amp draw obtained. Replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and seems to have better power and higher volts to help but still intermit starter turnover. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced any issues like this. Yrs ago the pedal lock motor and EDIC motor went out and removed pedal locking device (don't need it due to seat locking bar) and installed a manual engine stop cable for removed/failed EDCI motor burned out. Machine runs great when running but frustrated about starting issues. Wondering if glow plugs could be an issue? Glow system seems to work fine when needed on cold starts (if starter turns over). Assume injectors are good due to runs good when started. If I charge the batter when no starter turnover seems to help so though I have a short somewhere that drains batter but can't seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated.