Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help/Advice

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2011-05-11 23:51

I am still a novice skidsteer operator. I am doing a job of digging out/leveling an area on the side of a hill for a tampoline. It has recently rained here and I hoped i could get it done before the next 5 days of possible showers. I was able to get the area dug out but I am having a hard time with getting the area nice and level. Because of the recent rain the dirt has become moist mud. When i back drag it clumps together and I am having no luck getting it level. Do I just have to wait to drys up? I do this part time so I worked out with the guy where I could leave it there to come back and finish up but I am just wondering if I need to tell him that i won't be able to get it level until it is completely dry? Help, tips or pointers are appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1lectro882011-05-12 00:40

    Best to let it dry. Only other option is remove the muck, down to dry dirt(haul it away) and your still gonna make a mess of it. Somewhere... Once you make muck, it turns into a sinkhole to the depth that you disturbed it whenever it rains. In other words its hard to compact and make solid ground there again.

  2. #21toomanyhobbies2011-05-12 10:51

    Thanks Lectro. I figured waiting till it drys is best but wanted to make sure I am not missing anything. The forecast is for rain the next several days so I am trying to decide if I want to pick up the equipment since I think it will be a couple of weeks before it is dry enough to finish.