Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help ASAP

90plow ยท 2008-04-06 21:33

Have a 2002 Bobcat 863 that will not start. I was running it for about 2 hours at almost full throttle loading skids of block on a trailer transported it to the job was about to load back on the trailer and head home and the machine died in the middle of the driveway. I put more fuel in even though the guage read 1/2 and then proceeded to bleed the air out of the system via the screw above the filter. Got fuel up to the filter and it still will not start. Took off the filter and fuel came out but was clean. Put it back on and still won't start. The machine died suddenly did not sputter or anything first. ANY HELP IS APPRETIATED. Thanks in advance -Eric

Replies13
  1. #1tuney4432008-04-06 21:49

    Try again to bleed out the air from the bleeder by the filter,try and start. If it doesn't ,crack the line by your injection pump,see if bubbling fuel comes out there--if it still won't start, try a small shot of ether while you're cranking.This sometimes will do the trick,once it starts,keep the revs up to push out any air.

  2. #2shane2008-04-06 22:27

    Hey there-is it a Deutz Engine? If so, it sounds like you may have lost your timing belt. Fuel problem will sputter and cough and die. Sudden stop with no warning-unless it somehow siezed, in which case you can't crank it over with the starter, it's probably that ding-danged belt. It's a relatively simple fix, though, but I've done it a lot. The problem is is that it requires expensive special tools. Good Luck and hope this helps.

  3. #3stumper1202008-04-06 23:32

    if it is a kubota motor check the electro magnetic kill solonoid hooked up to the injector pump. they are known for going suddenly and it is just like shutting of the key. no sputtering or nothing. if it has a deutz :bash good luck

  4. #4bobcatmechanic2008-04-06 23:43

    all 863's are deutz enginges more than likely you did break a timing belt take it to the dealership to get it done they are easy to fix if you know what you are doing but if you dont and you go mucking around in there you will cost your self more money than what it would cost to begin with also be prepared to replace the push rods they always bend when the timing belt breaks and you very rarely bend a valve as the valves are straight up and down with the pistons so the push rods give before the valves do i have seen this many times and trust me its better to let the dealership do it

  5. #5Countryboy2008-04-07 01:56

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums shane! :drinkup

  6. #6Mustang20602008-04-14 15:13

    Any time my "tang" just ups and dies it is usually a safety device gone bad, i.e.: seat belt, seat pressure, hydro lock or wheel lock. after I check fuses I by-pass one at a time and usually find the problem quickly. Rod

  7. #7landtekk2008-04-15 16:38

    duetz timing belt I just replaced my belt on a 2002 1011 in a Gehl. Once I found out how to do the procedure its a pretty easy fix.I've had this machine since new and am very happy with the reliability and ease of maintienence these engines have. Mine ran great with 4-5 thousnd hrs. Read about the belt problem in various places and thought I'd better do it. Total expense for me in Anchorage was under 300.00. This includes parts, tool rental.timing pins and manual. the proprietary hangups are what cost me. These hangups turned a 1 day repair at the most,into a couple more days hunting accurate info and a "special tool"that wasn't mentioned in the manual I bought. THe manual was lacking at best and after a search on the net, a gentleman in in Nova Scotia was gracious enough to e-mail a copy of Duetz tech instructions. Night and day between the two publications. The tech version could be read by a middle schooler and had indepth instructions with great drawings. The manual was bad pictures sketchy info. The other special tool no one mentioned was a "torx" like bit that removes the last fastner on the timing belt cover. Took me awhile to figure out that nothin I had would work. The head of the bolt as inset into the cover an 1" and I couldn't see the head at any angle. Next day I call local rental dealing in Gehl and the mechanic says he knows exactly what I'm talking about and let's me borrow it and after that it's a breeze. I finished last night and I consider the hassle part of the learning curve and I still beat the time and money it would have required taking it to the shop. The engine seems to have a crisper exhaust note after the replacement but I adjusted the valves also. The belt tension gauge is a must along with pins but I made the spanner wrench they required. hope this helps if you decide do on your own.scott

  8. #8bear2008-04-15 20:48

    Deutz engine Would it be a good idea to avoid ctl's and skid steers w/ the deutz (duetz?) engine? I've noticed several posts that give me the impression they aren't built as well as they should be or quality is an issue.

  9. #9bobcatmechanic2008-04-15 21:49

    the deutz is ok it just takes paying attention to scheaduled mantinence and the head gaskets leaking on the older machines around 1500 hrs or so dont know about the new deutz they could be built better haven't had any run ins with them yet

  10. #10landtekk2008-04-16 19:51

    duetz I know Gehl has gone from 1011 series to a 2011 series but mainly to satisfy Teir II specs.Deutz's reason for using the belt is to quiet the engine and enables the cam to be placed where it is.Also these engines are used on gen-set so the belt is also used to power aux compoents Oil cooling was new to me but living where it does get cold, I found I really like it. One less fluid and separate system for that fluid. The belt I took off my machine wasn't checked or cracked but might have been stretched. I measured the tension before I removed and it was within specs which suprised me. I think if you ran this engine in high heat and or sandy conditions you might have problems. The quality of the engine components are as good as any I think but its better to hear from real mechanics who have worked on mutiple machines,so I consider Bobcatmechanic"s opinion positive unless he considers a 2002 model one of the old ones. thanks Scott

  11. #11mrwildbill2008-08-17 08:39

    753 problem i am tring to become member to post . i have 753 with similar problem

  12. #12bobin352008-08-17 08:46

    check your fuel pick-up hose in tank and also on the deutz engine there is a shut-off solenoid problem check by turning on the ign.then down by the oil fill there is a lever flip the lever the try it

  13. #13Willis Bushogin2008-08-17 17:48

    Deutz engines BaDDDDDDDDDDDDD Ill try to make this short, but Deutz is not popular with me and never will be. I bought a $90,000 machine with a 90hp model 2011 engine. It had the second new engine and only 350 hrs, now with 700 hrs the engiine is bad (pistons) and Deutz says the engine is out of warranty. The manufacture (Fecon/Rayco) has quit putting this engines in their machines. So BEWARE