Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help finding engine rebuild kit for D6C 3306

Mike Knight · 2022-10-12 12:59

Hello all, I am needing some help trying to find a engine overhaul kit for our Cat D6C dozer. I have contacted the Cat dealership to get a platinum overhaul kit but found out that they no longer offer them for this specific engine arrangement. I'm kind of hoping that maybe someone has one stashed away (wishful thinking, I know). It is a late 1960's dozer not sure of the exact year. Serial number is 10K9870. Engine model 3306 serial #3N17402 and the arrangement # 2P6795. I have not had much luck finding a complete kit on the internet. Would someone possibly know if another engine kit would fit from a different piece of equipment? Cat offers platinum kits still for newer equipment. I found one kit for a D6H dozer part# 20R-1482. Would it possibly be compatible? Thank you in advance!

Replies12
  1. #1Coaldust2022-10-12 13:32

    I’ve always pieced them out. I doubt there was ever a “kit” available for that engine. Most dealers have a “standard jobs” list of every part commonly ordered for such a job. You could ask the service dept. The wild card will be the crank. But, your mileage will vary.

  2. #2Nige2022-10-12 14:21

    I also have my doubts. IMHO you'd be faster just buying piece parts.

  3. #3tctractors2022-10-12 15:12

    A D6C sporting a 3306 would not be from the 1960's more like 1973, the 10K was built from 1967 to 1976 but was first built with the D333C engine. tctractors

  4. #4Chrisso2022-10-12 15:14

    From what I can see, the best you're going to get are gasket/seal kits, there's plenty of them. The problem with the 20R-1482 Platinum kit is that it's not listed as compatible with your machine s/n. The time an effort you go to trying to figure out why would be better spent piecing the parts out as suggested above.

  5. #5Mike Knight2022-10-12 15:18

    Thank you for the info Coaldust, I could have swore that I had found a kit that was compatible with that engine but that has been a few years ago when we knew we were going to need to overhaul it. I very well could have been mistaken at that time. We'll give cat a call back and hopefully they will have a common parts list.

  6. #6Mike Knight2022-10-12 15:21

    Thanks tctractors, I was not aware of this. I just knew it was somewhere in that range

  7. #7Mike Knight2022-10-12 15:22

    I have a pretty good feeling you are right, thanks Chrisso

  8. #8Check Break2022-10-12 21:43

    Give IPD a call. They offer a lot of what you need for a 3306. https://www.ipdparts.com/download/ipd-parts-for-caterpillar-3304-3306-engines-english?wpdmdl=806

  9. #956wrench2022-10-13 09:19

    The last 3306 bare-block rebuild i did was with an IPD kit about 20 years ago. The owner said its still running.

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-10-13 13:32

    IPD is high quality parts. They make 3 ring pistons for 3200 series engines that Cat doesn't offer. They are an improvement over Cat 2 ring pistons. The shop that did my engine uses a lot of IPD parts in their rebuilds.

  11. #11illy2022-10-16 14:20

    Try Interstate-McBee also.

  12. #12Mcrafty12022-10-18 04:41

    https://www.reliancepowerparts.com They list many parts for many machines/engines The 3306 being just one. I can't vouch for their Cat replacement parts but I rebuilt my Mack E6 several years ago with their parts and it's still going strong today. My bad, I have too many different brands of diesels...lol, PAI was where I got my Mack engine parts...But Reliance does list CAT engine parts, maybe they can help you.