Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help from a takeuchi mechanic

dwolfe ยท 2012-08-18 23:10

First off I want to introduce myself (dwolfe). I used to be a heavy equiment mechanic 25 yr ago, I work in the field on road constuction equiment for about 5 yr. Basiclly what every was on my job site. Then I work in a rock quarry for about 6yr on what every they had. I went to work in a machine shop as a welder and learn to be a machinest. Now I head up maintance and manage a factory that manufactors brass pistol cases. I can take about any thing apart and put in back together, but I don't have the technical knowage that so of you guys have. Ran across this forum, seems like a great resourse. OK this is my qustion, I bought a takeuchi tl140 track machine. I got it worth the money, but it was missing a track and it had not been ran in a couple years. It needs some undercarrage work, but before I put a bunch money in it I wanted to make sure it was machanically sound. I found a used track in just ok shape. I put it on, but it will not stay tight. I have put 10 to 12 tubes if grease in the track adjuster over time. A friend told that if track has stretch out it may be running out of adjustment and letting the grease run around the seals? Or the seal out of track adjuster? How hard is it take the adjuster apart. Look like idler has to come off and cyc rod will pull out to replace seal? Thanks D Wolfe

Replies3
  1. #1crewchief8882012-08-19 18:15

    not sure on your machine, but most mini tracked machines are a simple cylinder thats full of grease, connected to a large spring. how soon after you adjust the track does it loosen up? that much grease it should be clear where it's coming from. all the mini's ive taken apart have a dust seal on the outside, then an oring or oring /BU washer combo. i've seen in the past where the chrome had worn, pitted or flaked off the rod destroying the seals :drinkup

  2. #2dwolfe2012-08-21 23:55

    well hell, I thru off my track on sunday. I went head took the adjuster out, it did have a broke oring. Got it back together track has stay tight. Thanks crewchief

  3. #3crewchief8882012-08-22 18:22

    yer welcome :woohoo :drinkup