Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help From BC Old Snags

trakloader ยท 2012-10-15 16:12

Any of you guys remember this ship? Dad figured she was the CIL freighter that delivered powder all over the coast, direct from James Island. Picture is from the mid to late 50's. Nobody here remembers the name of the ship!

Replies4
  1. #1Truckmodeler2012-10-15 16:58

    Not sure if its the same one in your photo but the MV G.B. Church was used for hauling explosives all over the local area. She was originally the MV Cerium I believe, built in the UK. The GB Church was sunk in 1991 for an artificial reef off of Sidney and is a popular dive spot.

  2. #2trakloader2012-10-15 17:04

    Nope, just checked that out. Close, but the time frame is wrong. Also, this one is bigger than the G.B. Church. I suspect this was its predecessor.

  3. #3Truckmodeler2012-10-15 20:28

    The only other ship I've seen reference to is the MV Fort Ross. I have no idea what she looked like. I'm looking through my S.C. Heal books on coastal BC tugs etc. and that name comes up working for CIL.

  4. #4trakloader2012-10-15 20:54

    That might just be it! I remember seeing a picture in the Western Mariner, and it was of a similar configuration.