I cut a drain channel 580' long by 12'-15' wide and put down new bermuda sod down the center 10'. The homeowner is having trouble keeping it wet and I am thinking of covering it with straw hay. We are hitting 95 degrees every day and have already lost some of the sod. Basically a 5800 sq ft area and I will be using the small square bales. Any rules of thumb for this? Thanks Greg
If you cover the sod with hay you will kill it that way too. I do lawn installations and use hay over seed, it keeps the seed moist so it will germinate. Mature grass as in sod needs sunlight for photosynthesis, if you cover it you'll lose the sod. You can get a water timer valve at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $25, it can be programmed to come on multiple times a day depending on your needs. It goes on the faucet and your hose attaches to it. Set it and forget worrying about your water needs.
We have lost some of the new sod along the outside edges and I was going to mulch/hay straw on the 2'-3' of dirt on the edges after seeding just to help out a little. Still trying to decide on the deal. I guess my lesson learned is always check water pressure beforehand. I saw a frost free faucet and two faucets on the house and thought we would be in good shape. He is on a well but must have a small pump. I can't run two small impact sprinklers at the same time and am using soaker hose. Thanks
Try peat moss. It holds in the moisture real well and it makes the grass grow like a SOB.
Sounds good, I might try a little of both.
The timer is definitely the way to go. Get that sod established and counsel the owner to leave it tall this year to reduce stress on the plant itself and it should make it.
Talked myself out of the hay from Steve's advise and just stressed to the homeowner the sod must be kept wet. Went by a couple days ago and it is looking real good. The original sod is even coming back on the edges and filling in. That bermuda loves the heat as long as it is watered a little. I still am wondering about a rule of thumb for a standard bale of hay spread out for mulch?
I used erosion control mat. I can get 100 sq yds for about 35 bucks. It goes down faster and covers more unless you have a chopper.
We're supposed to put down 3-4" around here when mulching for sensetive areas. As for coverage per bale, I figure a standard septic bed and associated disturbed area around it uses about 8-10 bales. So if you said 200-400 square feet per bale for average cover. For heavy areas, 100 or so. Depends upon the size of the bale, as well.
Thanks Atgreen. I know its not rocket science and I could just get a bale from a local farmer and spread it out. I just figured there is so much knowledge and experience on this board someone would be regularly using bales for mulch and erosion control.
I've got to blow some tomorrow, I'll pace off an area and do some more math just to double check.