Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help identifying a trencher

digger242j ยท 2007-06-16 23:06

I'm creating this thread for new member mlane300, who needs help ...well what the title of the thread says. And welcome to the forums!

Replies29
  1. #1mlane3002007-06-16 23:31

    First off, thanks Digger for helping me out here! I bought an older trencher today at an auction and need help figuring out what brand and model it is. I've looked at various units on-line, but I can't seem to find another like it. Here are a few small pictures:

  2. #2mlane3002007-06-16 23:37

    It has controls at the front and back that are linked together. Because of this, I am assuming that it is a ride-on machine and is just missing the seat.

  3. #3DR RPM2007-06-17 07:59

    Kinda looks like something from the back of the Popular Mechanics magazine, one of those do it yourself projects.:bash

  4. #4surfer-joe2007-06-17 14:12

    I could be wrong about this, but the thing looks like a very early Vermeer product. I don't believe it's a home-made lashup.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-06-17 18:19

    Welcome to HEF mlane300! :drinkup Are there any numbers on it, that are legible?

  6. #6mlane3002007-06-17 21:05

    Thanks for the welcome! Some of the hydraulics are stamped "BROWNING" There are numbers stamped in various places, but I haven't found a serial number or anything yet. Is there a certain place I should look?

  7. #7mlane3002007-06-17 21:15

    I started it up yesterday and tried it out. It runs smoothly and all the controls seem to work. It was interesting trying to learn how to operate this machine since it had all the control labels painted over! (I had never operated a trencher before.) One thing I am curious about....When I drive one direction it travels smoothly. However when I drive the other direction (like when I am digging a trench or using the dozer blade) it makes a steady lurching movement. It feels like it is supposed to be doing that, as if it helps out in the digging process. Should it be doing this? Do all trenchers make this slow, steady start and stop motion?

  8. #8Countryboy2007-06-17 21:34

    Since it has been painted, some of the stamped numbers could be filled in with paint depending in the type of paint that was used and the thickness/ number of coats that were applied. I see that the knobs of the handles have overspray on them so there ain't no telling what else got covered up with overspray. I would also look for placards that have been painted over. For example a small square or rectangle plate with rivets in the corners. Some of these info placards I have seen were actually etched instead of stamped and paint would easily cover up the information provided. There is usually some kind of Company badge or marking on the control panels on most equipment. As I'm not familiar with the workings of trenchers, this might be normal. Does the belt/pulley/chain system in the first picture drive the tracks and the trencher or just the trencher. I see a chain through the tracks but can't make out if this is connected to the pulleys. If this is the case then the drive chain might have slack in it causing the lurching or maybe the belts have hard spots in then. The latter being from sitting up for awhile. The hard spot would cause the belt to slip a little in that particular spot each time it came around, giving the feeling of a "lurch". Being a belt and pulley drive there is probably a seperate pulley for foward and one for reverse. If one of the belts is bad then this could cause what you are describing in one direction. Just some thoughts.

  9. #9digger242j2007-06-17 22:30

    I don't know whether it would help anybody figure out what you've got there, but what kind of engine is in it? Gas, diesel? Number of cylinders? Can you tell what make the engine is?

  10. #10Jeff D.2007-06-17 22:55

    It "looks" like an old single cylinder Wisconsin model AGND. It's definately a gasser.

  11. #11mlane3002007-06-18 19:22

    It is a gasoline engine. I had to go out of town, but will give an update with more info on Friday. Thanks everyone

  12. #12MKTEF2007-06-22 14:37

    I bet this is a old Ditch witch from around 1970-1985. One of their "bigger" models. And its because: - The smaler tracked models have a similar/the same undercarrige.(without doserblade) - The other/later models have the same wisconsin engine. - The smaler models has the same design for the threncer-chain and tensioner system. - Ditch witch used the belt pullies design in that period. My father did a lot of repairs for the telephone company on their smaler tracked ones around 1980-85. And they looked like this one but a little bit newer in design. My brother did run a wheeled trencher with the same engine for a cable tv job around 1990-91.

  13. #13Dogger2008-06-16 07:49

    Could be a old Davis task force

  14. #14landrvrnut222008-06-16 09:05

    It is definitely not a Davis, as they had trapezoidal shaped tracks, not oval. It looks like an old 1960's Cleveland Trencher. I tried to find an image of one, the best I can do is a small image of a parts manual from one, but it looks about right. Hope this helps.

  15. #15pwrstroke6john2008-06-17 00:56

    I have never used a trencher that lurched in one direction, so its not supposed to do it

  16. #16ddiiggy2008-06-17 23:31

    Years ago when I was doing lawn sprinkler installations, we used a pipe & cable plow. It would act like it was doing a herky jerk if you forgot to disconnect the vibe action. :Banghead I don't know if a trencher would need vibe for any reason... ?

  17. #17Firecat112008-07-23 11:19

    I believe that this could be an early model Vermeer trencher. We own an 80's model Vermeer trencher that has similar design aspects. The 6-way blade is mounted the same as this one. The trenching boom also has the same type of bearing mounts and boom configuration. Have you tried contacting Vermeer to see if they have any information?:beatsme

  18. #18Firecat112008-07-23 11:28

    You didn't buy chance buy this at this estate sale? Estate Farm Machinery, Vintage Car, Pickup & Semi Auction!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Basset, IA June 16th, 2007 Starting time: 9:30am xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEstate, Owner xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Number: Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx E-mail: [email protected] Vermeer THD trencher S.# 3716606 w/Wisconsin 2-cyl. Eng. on trailer. I think the mystery may be solved......

  19. #19Bellboy2008-07-23 15:02

    As long as it works, thats fine. If it breaks, scrap it. JJ

  20. #20CoyoteKurtz2009-01-13 22:40

    I think its a Parsons. They made what is called a "ladder trencher"

  21. #21duprace242009-01-15 13:43

    if you find any more numbers,etc. on it, let me know. I work for Vermeer and can do some checking on this end. Im not real familiar with the older track machines to tell by the picture if it is one of ours.

  22. #22toolbocks2009-04-03 19:47

    Did anyone figure out fer-sure what it is?

  23. #23heath williams2011-01-04 21:25

    i just picked one up that looks just the same, only with a two cylinder wisconsin will post some pics tomorrow. mine says vermeer t200 if i remember correctly.

  24. #24heath williams2011-01-05 08:25

    it has a tag on it that says Vermeer Model #t200 ser# 309 ,Pow-R-ditche, Vermeer MFG Co Pella Iowa

  25. #25Randy882011-01-29 06:37

    If its got clutch type steering it'll jerk when you turn it, depending on how the clutches are adjusted or not adjusted, I have a parsons and the drive systems are about the same in all those vintage models no matter who made them, they also have a brake built in the clutch design and if your brake isn't adjusted quite right they jerk even more. If it run and pulls straight and under power hangs in there and does't slip don't sweat much, the rest you'll get used to over time.

  26. #26Skycloud2011-04-03 15:13

    I have an older Vermeer trencher, it says pow-r-line it has a bucket and the trenching chain. I was using it, after i dug a couple trenches I started another, I started the chain, lowered it and now the thing doesn't want to creep. The sprocket starts to turn but then it just rotates on the shaft, please help?

  27. #27Randy882011-04-03 20:32

    Sounds like the drive sprocket thats keyed to the shaft has sheared if the sprocket turns but the shaft its attached to doesn't I'd start to look there first, does it look like there is a key way on the shaft and possibly a key [a square piece of steel about a quarter inch square or 5/16's square or something like that] is what a key is. Not familiar with a power-r-line trencher but they all worked the same basic way, either a hydraulic motor driven for the creep mechanism or else a series of sprockets and shafts to reduce the speed for the creep mechanism. If you've got a picture of the mechanism I'd be able to help closer pinpoint the problem for you. Hope it helps some.

  28. #28Skycloud2011-04-03 21:38

    The shaft has 2 sprockets 1 is for the chain and one is for the movement. There is a handle that engages the chain and when it is engaged the other sprocket is driven of the other sprocket attached to it by a chain. That sprocket is attached to a shaft that runs the hydraulic pump. Any help I can't yet attach pictures to help.

  29. #29bigdodge2011-04-06 00:29

    Hello to all. I have what used to be a tracked trencher. The guy before me had removed the chain auger and their is no body panils or any thing that would tell me what it is. I'm gonna make a mini dozer with it. I already have a small loader for a garden tractor that I will put on it also. It had an inline two cylinder wisconsin engine, with a belt driven hydrauliic pump. The pump is a Sta-rite industries two section pump that I can not find out any info on. This machine has a track setup simaler to the one in the pics earler except mine is hydrolic drive through a gear box to the tracks. Has anybody seen anything like what I have described. Any pics would be wonderful. Thanks Dustin