Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help NH 555e stabilizer control lever

jkflatt ยท 2009-11-08 22:21

Just bought a 1998 New Holland 555e w/ 2700 hours on it. One stabilizer arm control lever is very stiff and will only work the arm very slowly and that with alot of force to hold the lever back. I'm assuming the cable is binding but would like to know if anyone has had similar problem and what it took to fix it..... Thanks, JKF

Replies14
  1. #1willie592009-11-08 23:25

    Haven't worked on a Ford for some time, but I doubt you have cables controlling the valves from the control levers. You more than likely have linkage. You need to remove the covers for the backhoe controls and start checking you links for free or binding movement. Simply remove the pins that connect the control links to the valve spools. Now you can check if that control lever and link works freely. If all is well there, you probably have a problem with a control valve. It could be a bent valve spool, could be a problem with the centering spring assembly attached to the opposite end of the valve spool. You should be able to remove the caps of the centering spring assembly and inspect spring components. Check these things out and let us know what you find.

  2. #2jkflatt2009-11-09 12:46

    Looking at a parts diagram I found online ( www.messicks.com/nhparts/1092.aspx ) under the loader/backhoe index there is a "lines for stabilizer cylinders" part that shows a cable part # 85813104. Just wondering if anyone has had to replace this and how much trouble it is to access it? Also wondering if it can be cleaned? Anyone have a service manual on this machine that can help me on this? Thanks, Jeff

  3. #3willie592009-11-09 20:47

    Well, that just shows how long it's been since I've worked on a Ford loader/hoe. :tong It does appear you have cables controlling the outrigger valves, you may have a stiff cable. I looked all over the parts page at the NH website last night trying to find the backhoe controls...never did find them. I'm sure I was just overlooking something (or would that be underlooking ). If you could disconnect the cable where it connects to the valve spool, then you could check if the cable makes the lever stiff to operate. Let us know what you find.

  4. #4jkflatt2009-11-14 07:46

    bought new cable ($90) and am trying to replace it. About the most difficult thing to get to and work on that I've seen. Will work on it today again. Hope this is takes care of it....

  5. #5jkflatt2009-11-15 08:52

    got it done but what a pain to get to! Best access was from underneath. Had to remove the lower cable to access the upper one being replaced. Works smoothly now. with one exception: the cylinder works slower than the other side. Any ideas of why? thanks, JKF

  6. #6hoodscoop2009-12-06 12:17

    I have the same problem with a 1997 555E. How do you disconnect the cable from the valve ?

  7. #7Hardline2009-12-06 12:42

    Are the cables adjustable? Can you see the spool while someone operates the handle? Does it travel as far as the other? JJ

  8. #8jkflatt2009-12-06 13:20

    the valve cover is threaded onto the cable and you have to screw it off and slide it back over the cable. Then there is a pin that you have to punch out that connects the cable to the valve. If you have the replacement cable you can see how it connects.

  9. #9hoodscoop2009-12-06 19:49

    I have the new cable and I see where the pin goes. I have the bolts out of the cover but I can't pull the cable out enough to get to the pin. I think my cable is completely stuck. I'll try to screw the cover back tomorrow, is it RH threads ?

  10. #10hoodscoop2009-12-07 22:10

    I finally got both cables off today, thanks for the help.

  11. #11jkflatt2009-12-08 22:20

    sorry, been out of town.... hope it works out OK for you...

  12. #12hoodscoop2009-12-09 09:02

    Got one new cable back on, had to do some adjusting to get it to move the same each way. Waiting on the 2nd cable to come in. Now I need to start on my hand brake that doesn't work.

  13. #13jkflatt2009-12-09 09:47

    if it just needs adjusting like mine did, that's easy compared to replacing the stabilizer cables.....if you need help let me know....

  14. #14hoodscoop2009-12-10 08:59

    My brake caliper was stuck and wouldn't move. I have removed it and gotten it apart. I put some Kroil on it and let it soak for a while. I need to replace the pads also.