Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me help my father-in-law out. He has a mid to late seventies International 3500 series A that he picked up a few years back to do any work around his property that would be too big for his Kubota. The machine runs well and is very strong but recently it's developed transmission problems much like other IH owners have posted here and elsewhere on the net (forward mostly non-existent, reverse also intermittent) and it has various leaking hydraulic hoses. So here's the thing: he is in the rebar business (inground pools) and work has been on a slide for the last two years. At this point, he could use some extra cash more than he needs a machine that gets used once or twice a year. This is where I got sucked in. He asked me to find out what this thing is worth and to try to sell it. I don't know where to look, but I figured if anybody could guesstimate a fair price for the machine it would be you guys. I thought I would see what kind of feedback I got from this post before listing it in the classified section since I don't know what a fair asking price is. Thanks in advance for your help. Double R One last thing, I took lots of pics but I didn't want to post until I knew if there was anything specific you guys would want to see.
I'm thinking $1500. Trying hard to see that it would be worth more, maybe $2000, but I don't think so unless you part it out. Might be worth more dead than alive. There is talk on other forums of drive problems: http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=farmall&msg=7009
Thanks Phil. I appreciate the quick response. I'm going to list it in the classified section tomorrow. Any suggestions as to specifics I should show in pics when I post?
A item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Loss of forward _and_ reverse drive makes for a much longer / expensive list of problems than loss of one drive. Does this machine have a full hydrostat trans ( 2 large wide peddles on the left with a forward and reverse arrow, high / low range selector on the left of driver seat ) or shuttle shift ( left side same style peddle as the brakes, clutch peddle and a multi speed gear shift ) ? Being the machine is heavy, the market shrinks to local buyers. A item that sells for $ 10,000 in California but costs $ 8,000 to get there, has a CA market value of sub $ 2,000 if there are not any local buyers. The guy next door is more likely to pay a bit more than someone that has to have the machine shipped. ( A distance buyer looks at shipping as total machine cost ) You are in the Harrisburg area correct? I'm interested, though Harrisburg is about 200 miles from me so shipping might be a issue. Depending on condition having it roll in to my driveway for $ 1,500 would be interesting.
I'll have to take a look tomorrow at the pedal assembly. I took lots of pics, but not of all the controls. The price range sounds fine. This machine needs a new home where it can be put back to work. Left here it will just continue to rust away. Check back tomorrow, I'll post here concerning the drive and I'll post more/better pics in the classifieds. Thanks
Double R would you happen to know who the original owner was?
Don't know about the original owner. He bought it less than ten years ago from Modern Precast in Ottsville, Pa.