Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help on excavator refurbishment

Legdoc ยท 2008-01-27 11:39

I am in the process of refurbishing a JD690-A. During sandblasting and painting operations hydraulic tubes were removed from the boom. They were degreased and capped waiting to be blasted and painted. I noticed there is surface rust on the inside of several as the caps came off. The tube I.D. is 1" and length is apx. 5'. I am open for suggestions as how to remove the rust. I have thought about muriatic acid. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1jrtraderny2008-01-27 12:04

    Muriatic will make it worse, I'd suggest a good hosing out with a high pressure, hot water pressure washer , then blown out with compessed air , then a light oil rinse. jr

  2. #2Burnout2008-01-27 12:16

    Do you have an pics of that A? I have always loved the older 690's especially the A's and B's. Grew up with a C at home and have always loved the look of those beasts.

  3. #3Legdoc2008-01-27 12:30

    I"ll take some pics today but will have to figure out how to post them.

  4. #4tonka2008-01-27 12:56

    A little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. Just change the hyd filter in about 100 hours!

  5. #5bobin352008-01-27 16:23

    I rebuilt a D8K after a fire (it sat for 3 years first)and i capped one end of the line and used muriatic acid to clean the once they have oil in them they wont rust!