Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to clear woods?

Craftybigdog ยท 2008-01-25 19:25

Hey guys Im buying a house that has 5 acres and I was wondering what is the best way to clear the woods its alot of 1-2 in cal small trees. I want to keep the big ones. I have a Kubota KX-161 and a Bobcat A300 I was just curious what is the best way to take them out with the roots so I can till it up and harley rake it and get the yard to come in. Thanks alot I just thought I would look to the pros for some help!

Replies10
  1. #1tonka2008-01-25 19:35

    um where do you live? What kind of trees are they? In Cali you have to get all 70-80% of the roots out. The roots will deteriorate over time and if you build over an area where the roots were your foundation will crack.

  2. #2stumper1202008-01-25 21:04

    rent a mulching head for the bobcat like a fecon or magnum. if its not to rocky you can ingage the ground. or take your time grubbing with the ex.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2008-01-26 04:55

    With that small a tree you ought to be able clamp them with a 4 way bucket and pluck them from the ground root ball and all. I've done that many times, stack them up and burn them off.

  4. #4Fishfiles2008-01-26 10:48

    Fecon Mulcher I'd have to agree on the mulcher head , you already have the T300 which has high flow , which is needed to operate the mulcher -----it does and awsome job really fast --------if you were in La. I could hook you up on a rental , if you wanted to buy a used unit I could hook you up with that

  5. #5jazak2008-01-26 10:53

    It all depends on the size of the trees on the property. If you put a thumb on the mini-ex then you can rip out all the smaller stuff. But for the larger trees you're going to need to rent a large excavator with thumb if you want the stump and root system totally removed.

  6. #6bobcat ron2008-01-26 11:08

    A 20 ton excavator with a 60" clean up bucket would scrape them right out of the ground in a day or two.

  7. #7Fishfiles2008-01-26 17:39

    Fecon With the mulcher there is nothing to get rid of after it is over , trees up to 8" will be mulch , the Fecon will drop the tree in seconds and then shred it up in a couple of passes over it , as far as shrubs and bushes it's as fast as you can travel down to the dirt

  8. #8DirtMan2008-06-16 19:34

    This works! With this setup, you can also "pick and choose" which trees to grind for mulch, and which trees to keep for shade by mulching on different angles, and around other trees without worrying about which direct to fell.

  9. #9w2bstoned2008-06-16 19:50

    Root Rake all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10pwrstroke6john2008-06-17 00:43

    if youre on a budget just cut all the small trees off about 2 feet above the ground and use a 4in1 bucket on the A300 and it should pull them right out. By the way how do you like youre A300?