Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help picking a scrapper for a 435 Quad farm tractor

Family Man · 2015-03-06 12:46

I have a 435 Quad that is a farm tractor. NOT a scrapper ready tractor. I guess that leaves me looking at a dolly scrapper possibly a cat 463 or cat 80. Work load would be 3-4 hundred hours of pond building a year. Open to all suggestions. Cost is a consideration too but durability, ease of loading is king.

Replies19
  1. #1Trashman2015-03-06 14:30

    This guy is in North Dakota..... http://stevevoightman.com/home_38.html

  2. #2still learn'n2015-03-06 21:30

    We have Deere so not really familiar with your tractor but just because its not scraper ready doesn't say you cant pull a scraper with it! http://www.pullscraperparts.com/DWB_HOME.htm Look at this site if they don't have a drawbar they will build it we have got a drawbar built from them and then you could go with any brand of scraper! We have a 9520 that would be setup for ag but it has pulled a scraper for most of its 8500 hrs! Jerry

  3. #3still learn'n2015-03-06 21:34

    Do you have stationary drawbar? 3 point Pto?

  4. #4Family Man2015-03-07 07:32

    It has a stationary drawbar and 3pt, no pto.

  5. #5still learn'n2015-03-07 14:02

    Does your tractor look like this?

  6. #6Family Man2015-03-08 04:21

    yes

  7. #7Shimmy12015-03-08 09:28

    That is a pic of a row trac. You don't have a row trac, do you?

  8. #8still learn'n2015-03-08 10:08

    Shimmy the main thing I was looking at in the pic was drawbar support and such but yes would make a difference if it was row track wouldn't it?

  9. #9Family Man2015-03-08 10:14

    yes, mine has a similar draw bar but it is not a row crop it's a full size 48,000 lb 435

  10. #10Shimmy12015-03-08 11:03

    You should be fine pulling any 18-21 yd³ single scraper. We hooked a direct-mount Ashland 18 yd to our 485 Quad last fall. If you're concerned for the tractor, get a dolly scraper. If you want a direct-mount, Case should be able to tell you if the frame is different on a 3-point equipped tractor. If the frames are the same, I wouldn't be afraid to hook 1 direct behind it. Tandems, I would have to think about it. Another thing to consider, we have our quad in the shop right now, tranny is being rebuilt. Tractor is a 2009, has 2300 hrs. To be fair, the tranny had shifting issues since we got it. That being said, the transmissions in these tractors are not the best for a scraper, but the tractors work awesome.

  11. #11still learn'n2015-03-08 14:41

    Shimmy how is your drawbar supported on the back? We had some stx 450 s at one time and we replaced the drawbar support with a heavier one and looking on jd parts they did that to but how has that worked for you?

  12. #12Shimmy12015-03-08 15:35

    That's exactly what we had to do, too. The scraper drawbar is heavier, and it has a much larger support that bolts underneath.

  13. #13Family Man2015-03-11 11:35

    Dealer recommended against a direct mount scrapper. So I'm looking for suggestions for Dolly wheel scrappers. Who makes a good new 18+ yard scrapper that can handle some abuse.

  14. #14Shimmy12015-03-11 18:08

    You want a dolly, you're going to want a conversion. Cat 80, Cat 435, A/C 260, something to that effect. Ashland makes an awesome direct mount scraper, the dolly models are not as heavy built. I believe Toreq and Miskin are the only other makers that build a dolly scraper that is 18 yds³ or more. I, however, will disagree with your dealer. If we were talking about pulling tandems or triples, he would be correct. A single scraper, I think you will get less life out of your belts with a dolly because you will be slipping. These tractors handle a single scraper with ease.

  15. #15Shimmy12015-03-11 18:10

    I think the frames are the same, not sure. I do know for a fact that the row tracs have extensions that would be scary to put all that load on.

  16. #16Family Man2015-03-12 12:05

    Anyone else using a direct mount scrapper on a Quad Trac that is set up as a farm tractor.

  17. #17Shimmy12015-03-13 00:08

    This is not a very popular topic around here. Not sure why, really, just isn't. I put 400 hrs this fall on our 485, no weights, either end. I just make sure I hit the difflocks when I'm going to grab a bunch of dirt. That way all belts get equal power.

  18. #18ShaneK2015-03-18 11:09

    Where in USA are you located? Soil conditions may play a role in which scraper you choose as well. Maybe there is a good scraper dealer in your area that can help you assess your needs?

  19. #19jaclo2015-05-06 19:07

    I hope you didn't even tell them you're putting one on your tractor, you just as well have taken $10,000 and set it on fire.