Hi, I drug home a old cable scraper from a retired neighbors weedpatch, he claims it was a cat cable scraper that he converted to hydraulic, and pulled it with his D4. He said it would lift the front of the D4 off the ground when going up hill. I brought it home, planning to put on all new hydraulic lines & Paint this winter, but I'm running low on time. The cylinders don't leak, and rods aren't pitted, tires hold air, all grease zerks took grease----so that's a HUGE plus. Proper hydraulic lines shouldn't be more than $500, and sandblasting & paint around $800 I'd Guess. But before I get carried away fixing it up, I'd plan on pulling it with a fully weighted 200hp 4650 MFWD John deere......rebuilding waterways/skimming off dirt around the farm/carrying dirt from stock pile to holes around the farm. I'd probably wrap a chain around the 3 point down to the draw bar for safety. This is one of my main planting tractors so I don't want to be ripping any drawbars off. What make/model is the pan? Whats the cubic yard capacity of the pan? Where would a model #/serial # be located? Will this pan tear up the tractor or drawbar? What would you guess this pan is worth in current condition? Whats It worth with new Paint & Lines? Parts availability such as wheel bearings? Thanks for your replies!!!!
Warpspeed, I like it.Looks to be around 8 or 9 yards. I think your tractor will be fine pulling it, I have operated a 4960 pulling a Kenze 840 and as you know a loaded kart is a hec of a load on a tractor. I can't say much on the make maybe someone else can. I do think if it were mine I would extend the hitch. As it is, it looks like it would interfere with your duals when turning.One thing to look at is the ejector, make sure it has good rollers so it isn't dragging on the floor or sides when dumping.As for parts look for numbers on your old wheel bearing then type that into your computer and search it. Some older bowls like Johnson had a plate on the left hand side with model information. I guess if its gone, may have been on a part cut off already, then you have to assume the sellers word it was an old cat.It's worth its weight in scrap price, or a lot more if you like it. That's my problem too many times too remember. Mudober
I like it! If this is a conversion someone did a nice job. An older D4 was only around 50 HP, but had a lot of slow moving traction. Without something of known size next to it for comparison it seems big to load with a D4 unless it had help with a push Cat for loading. What size are the tires on it? The hitch does look short. Extending it will not only help with tire clearance but will also effectively reduce tongue weight on the tractor and add it to the scraper. Serial number tag might be on the back although a lot of the old scrapers got them knocked off. You should be able to get wheel bearings at any bearing supply house. I think you 200 HP tractor should handle it fine. If you have difficulty loading a full load you can go with an extended cutting edge just in the center of the pan so you take a narrower bite while loading. Just have to travel a bit further. Keep us posted on how it works.
I would try to find out what the hydraulic cylinder are rated(pressure) at.If they are old alot of them was low pressure compared to the newer high pressure, tractors run now days.Might have trouble blowing seals and so fore.Good luck
Good looking scraper. I think it wipe pull it fine. The cylinders may cause problems though as the hyd press in the 4960 is going to be about 2600 psi. I think I would try it though.
Did some work to it, almost shipshape to try it out. added all new hydraulic lines for the lift gate cylinders. The cylinders do leak, but not around the rams...they are leaking around the end of the main housing when fully extended and I don't shut the lever off soon enough. What kind of cheap relief valve do i need for these cylinders so they don't leak? Just gotta weld on clamps for the new steel yellow lines & install hose sheathing & put new hinges on the back cover shield. If it works good, I plan to replace the rest of the hydraulic hoses going to the back cylinder that pushes out the dirt.
Its looking good. The cylinders are definitely not old Cat cylinders. They look like the standard lower dollar utility cylinders like used to raise a plow or implement. If you unbolt the rods pinch holding the two ends on you will probably find a dried up O ring that you can replace and tighten them back up. Most of that type cylinders have a 2,000 to 2,500 lb rating. They may be a overwhelmed by your tractor pressure. Can you adjust the bypass lower on the tractor control lever that operates that circuit?
Finally used it!!! Works good, no leaks. Got it painted this summer. Whats it worth?
more pics
Nice work Especially the steel hydraulic lines
Its looks great. Nice to see old iron come back to life. In the above pictures I can see tht the front vertical cylinder that lifts the gate looks like the older style Cat cylinder. They only operated at 1,000 PSI. Don't push to hard when you bottom it out closing it or you will probably blow the seals out. What did you end up doing to regulate the hydraulic pressure?
It's worth way more now that it's painted....looks great
Hate to be a wet blanket but you should NEVER weld on hydraulic lines or fittings that will see pressure. Besides the obvious potential for structuaral failure, interior coatings can flake off cause damage. ISZ
I think you did a great job. I'm also glad it didn't get scrapped out. I think it would bring $4500 at auction at least.