Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help Picking the right machine

BcatT650 ยท 2016-01-03 14:02

Hey guys, new to the heavy equipment forum here. So I apologize in advice if this is a dumb question lol. I've been doing a little research lately and haven't been able to find an answer, so I figure I ask it on here with people that have experience with it. Anyways I have 20 acres that's a tree pine farm. It was logged once or twice before I bought it. I purchased a bobcat T650 muti track loader to help grind stumps and get through the sand and clay on those rough rainy days. However being new to heavy equipment, I've noticed the tracks don't like going over stumps, logs and brush without sometimes the track getting caught on something and possibly throwing it off. My question is I'm looking into buying another machine and I'm not sure if a skid steer with wheels is the right answer or should I sell my T650 and get 2 skid steers with wheels? I'm just trying to accomplish maintaining the tree farm and trails. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'll list a few things that I use the machines for to help you guys. - cutting trails through the forest - stump grinding (stump grinder att.) - grading - brush pick up - brush cutting (brush hog att.) - removing dead/diseased trees Ground conditions - dirt, sand, clay, When it rains or the ground is wet the track machine just goes through anything. So I know that's a plus there. I want to get into snow plowing next year and I know tracks isn't a good idea on hard pavement. Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1caterpillar132016-01-03 23:49

    i would stay with the tracks and just drive over stumps and grind them, the tracks will work better for pushing snow than tires and there will be a little snow on the pavement so it wont hurt the tracks.

  2. #2Mark132016-01-04 23:17

    Unless he gets polar tracks or switches to some tracks with a pattern like the ASV/Cat 7 series machines use he will have major traction issues with the factory block style tracks when trying to plow with them or on ice. The block style tracks have to much surface area per pad, it's like trying to drive on slippery roads with mud tires on your pickup vs a dedicated snow tire.

  3. #3Hank R2016-01-04 23:22

    The 3 skid Steers here in town that plow snow are rubber tired and chain up the back drives and double up on the cross chain and go like stink.