Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help repacking cylinder – Can’t insert new plastic wipers

Rawbert ยท 2014-03-08 09:42

I'm trying to repack the cylinder that operates the bucket on my 1967 Case 580CK backhoe. I already repacked the 2 stabilizer cylinders, so have some experience. The problem is that this cylinder has 2 plastic wipers that go on each side of the gland, but they are so tight I can't seem to insert them no matter what.. As you can see on the attached picture, the wiper is almost a 1/4" opened when placed on the rod, and almost a 1/4" overlapping when inserted into the gland.. the new wipers match the old wipers in diameter, so it's the right size and the seal kit came from Case directly. They probably use a press or something at the factory assembly, but what a poor DIY farmer like me can do.. Thanks in advance for any help folks! Rob

Replies5
  1. #1td25c2014-03-08 10:26

    Heat up some water on the stove & drop the new wipers in for a bit warming them up so they are more pliable.

  2. #2Tinkerer2014-03-08 10:45

    It is a wear ring. I have seen them made from both plastic and a paper composite material. Those wear rings should butt together nicely on the rod, and in the gland. You may have the wrong seal kit. I have had the same situation a couple of times. I reinstalled the old ones I took out. They don't usually wear much. If it is a real problem the gland can be bored out and a brass sleeve put in it's place. Any good hydraulic shop can do it.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-03-08 11:09

    I've done many of those. Soak in HOT water to get it more flexible. Squeeze it down so it overlaps enough to get started and use a ziptie to hold it compressed. I usually use the wooden handle of a ballpeen hammer to gently tap it into the bore. They can be pretty tight. Good luck.

  4. #4jimg9842014-03-08 12:16

    freeze it and warm up the barrel [contraction vs expansion]

  5. #5Rawbert2014-03-08 12:39

    Thanks guys! It turns out I was trying to install them the wrong way.. the skinny part of the wiper goes outside..