I bought a used Caterpillar 963 recently and the protective covers on armrests are in bad shape (see attached photos). I then purchased a new set of armrest for this type of machine on eBay, attempt to replacing the old armrests on this CAT 963 machine. I also purchased parts manual and service manual too (for 21Z- series), but I could not find instructions or any way to unscrew the old armrests. The question is what is the proper way to place the armrest on CAT 963? Does it require removing the entire Roll Over Protective Structure? It appears removing the ROPS would be a very difficult considering the weight and amount of wirings that need to be disconnected. Could anyone shed some lights on how to replace the armrest on CAT 963? My CAT 963 serial number is: 21Z0267x (x is the last digital number)
I would check out what that bolt in photo #3 holds on . Looks like it may be cover arm rest bolts to
My guess is there's a separate bracket bolted on, that the armrest is bolted to. It may be held on with the ROPS bolts but someone should have a pic. showing how the armrests are put on.
Not being familiar with the 963 I did try looking in SIS and I'm seeing reference to a jack for the cab. Looks to be a hand operated jack. Looking at various stuff in SIS it looks like there are pins at the rear of the ROPS you pull out then jack cab up to tilt it forward to get access. Jack looks like this: I see your new arm rests appear to have places for six bolts but the arm rest on SIS only use two fasteners in each one so your's probably fit several different machines!
kshansen - Thank you very much! Definitely useful information for me. I just googled on how to lift/raise the cab on a CAT 963, found some instructions on how to lift or tilt a CAT cab, but its for 943 - 953 model, (and it doesn't mention or say anything with 963 model), So I wonder if there is much difference between a 943/953 and 963 model. Can someone who has SIS access check into this for me?
Well found instructions in the maintenance manual under changing the hydro-static oil and filter. Just for fun look on the back of the seat and see if there is a operator/maintenance manual there the factory usual put them there on most machines. If not here is the section on the tilt cab along with the filter change, pictures are not the best!
Thanks a lot for uploading instruction pages on how to tilt the cab. Yes, I did find an "Operation Manual" and a "Safty Manual" in the back of the seat. The "Operation Manual" consists just 61 pages coving basic operation. I don't find a Maintainance Manual anywhere. Your instruction pages are exactly what I needed. Thanks again!
When I investigated it appears that the 21Zxxxxx 963 is one of the few models where the Operation Manual is a separate document to the Maintenance Manual. Normally they are both combined into one document known as the Operation & Maintenance (O&M) Manual. For your missing Maintenance manual try the link belkow. You can download a pdf version of it for $27. Put SEBU5847 in the Search Box. https://catpublications.com/
I would say that $27.00 would be one of the best investments someone owning a 963 cold make!
There are 4 or 5 11/2 head bolts on each side of the machine you have to unpin the top of the jack to get them out on the jack side. The 963 is pilot controlled so you dont have to un pin linkage like on the 943 and 953 but there is a control for the foot pedals and one that is controlled by the throttle that have to be dis connected from the hyrdostat trans. I think you can leave the center brake pedal connected as long as you don't go farther than the jack can lift. Also make sure there is no junk in the cab I put a fire extinguisher thru the front windshield once.
How not to make points with boss or customer, huh?
Got this done today. Passenger side was fairly easy but the driver side was a giant PITA because of the A/C vent. Opted to only install one bolt on the driver side because the second one is too hard to get to. Whoever designed this back in the day should be put in jail. Armrests are held in place by two bolts. On on top and one on the side.
Did the armrests come from Finney?
Stevens Lake Parts (via Amazon)