This is the first time a company has ever asked me to send them my pricing sheet for hauling and I am lost as to how it is supposed to be formated yet alone what pricing I should be considering. I'm coming off a job that paid $36 per ton but the quarry was 86 miles from the job site and I don't know if that plays a role in it. We were hauling crusher run as the material. This company is asking me to submit a pricing sheet that includes hourly for dirt and demo material, pricing per ton for rock, stone, crusher run, etc. Can someone let me know how I would price these materials out I am not sure where this company will actually be sending us to work so I can't calculate mileage, nor am I really sure how to do this. I really appreciate the help.
Look, I am just a lurker here, but here are some thoughts. What are your variables? Miles loaded price. Miles unloaded price (irrelevant to the customer but a cost to you). Excess driver/truck waiting time per 15/30/60 minutes. Weight of load per ton price. Tarping requirements per load price. Potential loading/unloading damage to truck price (for when it actually happens; this would go in the miles-loaded price). Additional insurance cost (and I'm really making this up) that your insurance company might or will charge you for more-hazardous loads. Certainly there are other costs of running trucks. Please excuse me if I have wasted your band-width in reading this.
No, you haven't wasted my bandwidth you've actually helped me look at what all I need to consider. I usually get offered the work at the price they offer, I've never had a job ask me for my price sheet. So, it is like all of this is confusing for me, and if you couldn't tell I am fairly new. I am used to a company saying hey it's dirt you're hauling and we are going to pay $95 an hr and I agree and sign the hauling agreement. So, all of those things that you asked I have to figure out as well.
If you've been operating a while, take a look at your business checkbook to see what is costing you what. And remember, a normal profit is part of cost; i.e., when you figure your costs of operation, a normal profit must be included or you might as well work for the other guy. Costs include paying all costs of trucking operation including an operator (driver) for each truck, a manager for the business, and a normal profit on top of that. I suspect that many owner-operators fail to put aside a reserves for replacement (tires, other parts, motors, transmissions, replacements of entire trucks) and when those costs occur, they have no funds set aside for those costs so they go out of business.
Options: Tell them you do not do that. You bid jobs as they come. Tell them you get $xxx per hour from the time your truck leaves the shop until it gets back. Make a big and complicated list that looks like a price sheet, but leaves you tons of lee way to add to the bill. Examples are: waiting time on either end, tarping, hazmat, difficult loading or unloading zones (getting stuck or tipping over), damage from the equipment loading your truck, tickets from false scale readings when you leave, etc...
"Tell them you get $xxx per hour from the time your truck leaves the shop until it gets back." Excellent. Just call it $xxx per hour, "portal to portal."
I don't know anything about Georgia, but up in Wisconsin I pay $130/an hour for trucks, shop to shop. How are you going to make any money hauling tonnage? One load is going to be five miles away, and the next will be 50. The quarry will rope you into a tonnage price and then send their own trucks on the local stuff and you get shipped on the long hauls. The only way tonnage works is when the quarry's set the price with a mileage radius, or perhaps a specific price for a specific job.
Welcome to the Forums 478! Glad to have you. Well your first post is a lot to unwind but that's why we're here. Let's start with the basics - How much do you need per hour for your truck to cover labor, truck expense, insurance, fuel, repair contingency, overhead and make a profit? We pay $112.50 per hour with a 4 HR minimum and travel time depending on where the job is. However that doesn't mean much as strangers on the internet posting the rates they charge or pay really has no bearing on what you need to charge.