Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help trouble shooting eaton 9 speed!!

Johndeere120 · 2021-10-31 16:30

I finally got around to doing the trans output seal on my 9 speed fuller and it was easy no trouble threw in a new cone bearing while I had the seal out. So I go to put the yoke and nut on today and the transmission output shaft got pushed back and disengaged from the trans I could feel it wasnt spinning it. So I messed around with it for a while and got it to catch again but every time I put the yoke back on it pushed the output shaft back and it disengages and now I cant get it back in at all. Anyone know if theres a trick to this I dont understand why it only catches a little bit sometimes unless somthing inside is messed up now but hopefully not...

Replies17
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-11-11 20:08

    Wow I just read this-he probably wont reply. First off-the bearings on the out put shaft are matched to the double cone race, the inner bearing is matched on that cone and the rear bearing is matched to it's cone so when yoke nut is tightened to spec it has the proper end play. You can't just replace those bearings with any bearing of same number. The output shaft support bearings come as a matched set to cone. Back section will need to be removed and output main shaft gears re-timed to output counter shaft gears. Because the main shaft was allowed to move once you removed the bearing, it allowed the shaft to move ahead. When removing the output shaft bearing retainer to change seal, nothing can disturb the main shaft. It's replace gasket replace seal and nothing else.

  2. #2Johndeere1202021-11-30 20:46

    Okay I actually just saw this and someone else told me the same thing. Now I'll admit I know the bearing should be changed as a set with the race but I dont drive it much and when I do its local or site work. I ended up talking to a reputable trans shop through a buddy of mine and told him what happened. He said you can not mess up the timing without removing the back auxiliary cover. It was just in neutral default because it wasnt aired up turns out all I had to do was air it up and shift l to high and I was good to go. I ended up talking to several other truck guys and they all said the same and some even said they changed the same bearing with the old race and they have 300k+ miles since. I been driving it and it runs fine. Do you actually know anything about how these transmissions work or were you just telling me what you think? I'm not trying to be mean or start a fight but sounds like you dont know exactly what you're talking about or just worry too much?

  3. #3Tyler d4c2021-11-30 21:06

    I believe he is the resident eaton trans expert. Not saying short cuts can't be made successful. But if TS told me to change a part Id listen.

  4. #4Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:06

    Lets see-I have been rebuilding Eatons for 30 plus years. But Truly it's my fault because I answered a question for a person who had no business touching a gear box to begin with. Then wants to blame me for his ineptness and not buy a manual. Those bearing race assembly set are matched your friends got lucky that's all they were being cheap. Plus you had already taken it apart and f@cked it up. by the time I read that. Look Below my work.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:08
  6. #6Johndeere1202021-11-30 21:37

    Well it was my business because it's my truck. I'm not saying what I did was right but I am not an otr truck driver. That shaft isnt spinning 24/7 for me its usually idling at the quarry or on a job. I'm fully aware that races should be matched but idk how they all got lucky when they are all fine. I'm sure you made plenty of mistakes. I just dont understand how an entire shop plus several other guys tell me it can not get out of time and another had the same thing happen he just aired it up been driving it for years. But thanks for all your help

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:44

    Contact Eaton they will tell you and your shop buddies too.

  8. #8Johndeere1202021-11-30 21:45

    Yeah.. they also tell you to double clutch and buy a new yoke everytime. It's a business...

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:48

    You know what, you are a total waste of time and skin.

  10. #10funwithfuel2021-11-30 21:50

    This, this right here. It's how I got banned. I didn't have the self-control to resist the troll. I unloaded and wound up getting banned. Good on you TS for taking the high road.

  11. #11Johndeere1202021-11-30 21:50

    Idk what you're mad about. I admitted I was no expert and I didnt do the job all correctly to manual. I'm just saying it worked out and plenty other guys did too. Never said you weren't right.

  12. #12Johndeere1202021-11-30 21:53

    Why am I a troll for asking a question? I'm done with this site. Bunch of old bitter men on here. I said I was no expert hes just mad I guess I didnt buy a new trans off him. Whatever

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:54

    I'm not mad or pi$$ed, I made a statement-your a waste of my time. I'll make sure and not help in the future. good night.

  14. #14Tags2021-12-01 08:29

    That part of your post is why you would be considered a “troll”. And to say you’re done here because it’s full of “bitter old men” is laughable at best. I agree that being “politically correct“ and saying the right thing all the time is exhausting, but what you posted could’ve been said in so many better ways. I try to help and make suggestions whenever I can, but people like Truck shop, MG, Nige, heymcall, Kobelco Ireland, tool king, and several others lend so much information on here to help people out it truly is mind-boggling. The fact that he gave you information on how the job should’ve been done correctly and you got it done with a short cut is great, but it’s not the right way by the book. The right way for you and Truck shop is very different, he maintains fleets of trucks and needs to be accountable for those trucks and you have one that doesn’t get used much, so it works for you. Don’t be bitter, Just be thankful someone took time to try and help you, and maybe be a little more respectful in responding to a person like that…

  15. #15Johndeere1202021-12-02 17:23

    Alright I apologize I've just had stuff breaking nonstop and I'm in a bad mood. I'm just a little upset he basically told me I had to take my trans apart to fix what I did. Now I contacted eaton like he told me just to get a final answer and they told me default neutral is normal, and you cannot spin the gear out of alignment with the 2 counter gears unless you physically took off the case. I said the bearing situation wasnt right but I now had a shop, several truck guys, and eaton on top of it tell me it can not come out of alignment while its put together even jiggling the output shaft. So he could have cost me a ton of money if I had listened but it's over now. I apologize and move on

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-12-02 18:34

    I personally had it happen, so yes it can.

  17. #17funwithfuel2021-12-02 21:37

    Same here, trying to make time with a rear seal and extension housing. Doing it in chassis vs on the bench.