Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help w/ School Project

jazak ยท 2007-04-10 21:47

OK I'm taking a few courses at the local county college.....I need to know how many gallons of fuel a CAT 303CR, CAT 252B & CAT 420D IT or 420E use per hour. Also how many hours can I expect from each?? Thanx btw I'm logged onto my dads account..just a little FYI...

Replies10
  1. #1Copenhagen2007-04-11 01:25

    I dont think that the machines are rated on fuel useage, but the engines are. If you could find out what engine is in each machine, you could look up the specs and find the fuel consumption rates for specific engine loading.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2007-04-11 04:56

    I am not sure ware but someware I remember reading most Cat machines fuel systems were designed to run about 14 hours on a tank full or one 12 hour shift with a little reserve. I could be wrong about this but I think I read it about 20 or so years ago.

  3. #3nedly052007-04-11 05:31

    Lil' Jazak, I have a 27 ZTS John Deere, It's around the same as the 303, maybe a little bit smaller. In good digging, you can go about 10-12 hours on a tank of fuel which is 10 gallons. If the going aint so good and you're workin the macine a lot harder you may only go 8-10. I guess a nice round average would be 10....sooooooo 1 gallon per hour.

  4. #4Lashlander2007-04-11 09:45

    I"ve heard this too. I do know for a fact a D10N will run 13hours and 27 minutes on a tank.:yup

  5. #5jazak2007-04-11 10:22

    OK guys thanks ALOT for the info!!! My only other "?" is how many hours can I expect out of these machines?? Does around 3,000 sound right or more/less????

  6. #6Cat4202007-04-11 10:48

    How many hours until what? Rebuild, worn out, or just needing normal service? Our 420D has 3700 hours and runs great, it could easily run to double that and probably more. Besides the normal oil changes at 250, it gets all fluids and filters except hydraulic changed and valves adjusted at 1,000 hours. 2,000 hour service includes everything in the 1000 plus changing hydraulic fluid. I've seen plenty of backhoes with 9-10,000 hours, but they won't get there on their own. It all depends how they are operated and maintained. The same goes for the other machines.

  7. #7jazak2007-04-11 10:59

    Hours until its time to trade in or sell it?? Or hours until the machine is worn down so much its worth it to replace it??? Either one works for the project

  8. #8Cat4202007-04-11 11:44

    That's a good one. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Some people need maximum uptime and have to run newer machines, other people can run older stuff and fix it themselves when it breaks down. Unless you have a detailed machine history to compare, I'm not aware of any exact measure of what to expect for those figures. At what point you trade in and buy new may largely depend on owner opinion, which may or may not be based on sound business knowledge. Hopefully someone has a better answer for this.

  9. #9Wulf2007-04-11 13:03

    Cat's Performance Handbook contains fuel consumption figures under the chapter 'owning and operating costs' There are three factors defined, Low, Medium and High depending on work load and idle time... according to my old edition 29 handbook a D11R will consume 16.5 to 35.5 U.S. gals per hour so there is a big spread. Sorry but I don't see your models in edition 29 jaak, but someone here will have the complete library no doubt!

  10. #10murray832007-04-11 18:11

    Hmmm I guess on rule of thumb 5000 hours or 10 years on a backhoe but to each their own. I like older equipment myself,Give me a backhoe from the 70's or 80's anyday