Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help With 1987 Volvo N12 Schematic and Starter

CraneInnovation ยท 2014-04-16 10:55

Hello all, We have recently began working on an '87 Volvo N12 that has been sitting for ~8 years. The primary issues are electrical. We solved a major ground problem and have verified that the 24V switch is working, but the truck will not even try to start. The starting relay under the dash feels like it is firing. The starter is completely inaccessible under the cab. We've been moving it around in "Loader gear" Does anyone know where we could find service information or a schematic for this truck? Below is a picture of the VID card we found inside the cab. Can anyone interpret? I can't even see a model number....or a year clearly marked, but we are assuming it is an 87 at the moment. For the most part, she's in great shape and just needs some electrical gremlins worked out, possibly a new starter, and an engine overhaul. Thanks for any info!

Replies1
  1. #1overworked2014-04-16 14:16

    Td121fe engine model number. Does your fuel pump have wires going into back of it and electric throttle pedal? If so check large fuse in battery compartment it's for computer. Last one I fixed had shorted battery cable ( small one ) coming out of battery box, it ran over starter and shorted out on starter stud from solenoid to brushes, blew the fuse, was checking power at fuel pump and I only had intermittent power while cranking, it would smoke and try to start but as soon as you let key off it would stop, was chasing fuel issu till I checked voltage at pump, I don't see Volvo trucks to often.