Hi, I've been looking around the net for a backhoe websight and this one looks like the best. I am in need of a few things for a 1974 4500 ford backhoe.Thought maybe some of you folks might have them to sell or could point me in the right direction. #1 I am looking for a complete service manual with info on the 201 cu.in diesel. #2 I would like to find ROPS for this thing, somewhat near OHIO. #3 A dash that works,I have no working gauges. I just bought this thing 3 weeks ago and have worked on it more than with it. Right now it suffers from a blown head gasket and maybe? a bad rod bearing(slight knock at startup). Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks BB
I'm sure I saw that same instrument cluster for sale at Fawcett Tractor Supply( www.fawcett.cc ) in a recent flyer and it was new. I have the 550 service /operator/parts manuals. I'm trying to get some pages scanned for a previous post. Any specific questions on the engine or possibly the tractor, I could look up for you. I've heard of tractor wreckers selling canopies pretty cheap, since there is little demand for them, maybe it would be worth checking into.Did you search the internet for a manual, on CD? Phil
Thanks Phil, I mainly need torque specs. Head bolts,intake,rods and mains.
201 head bolts with washers are progressively torqued cold, first 90, then 100, then 110 ft lbs, using the common "start in the middle pattern". Head bolts should be checked for bottoming if the head is resurfaced. Keep in mind this engine has protruding pistons, so any block work or piston replacement should include this check -diesel .011"-.023"(above block). Phil Intake manifold to cylinder head 23-28 ft lbs Main bearing bolts 115-125 ft lbs Connecting rod nuts 60-65 ft lbs Flywheel to crankshaft 155-165 ft lbs Valve lash(cold) -exhaust .017-.021", intake .014-.018"
Thanks, Phil The valve lash(cold) is most appreciated. the head bolt torque is priceless. Once this thing starts it will be diggin.
Your welcome , I would have no problem mailing off a few photo copies to you if you need info on any section. The manuals are in a 3-ring binder . Phil
Here is some scanned info on the Ford 4500 automated hoe control I promised a while back. Hope it's readable. Phil
Phil, mine doesn't have that set up on it. It's just a straight 4 sticker. The only things I need now are ROPS and gauges. I bought a manual on ebay I just wish it would get here! Thanks again BB