Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with an Austin Western grader

WyoGuy ยท 2016-10-15 18:00

I found an old Austin Western grader that I'm thinking about purchasing. It's a four wheel model with an IH engine. Front two wheels and tires are gone, rear two are trashed. Engine has a hand crank and seems to be stuck. Serial looks like M5180. Can anyone tell me what model this is and what it weighs?

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2016-10-15 21:27

    Not afraid of a little work are you? Actually that could work out just fine for a grader to have around, I've seen people use even older antique graders than what this sounds like. They really don't do anything different on the new ones, just a lot faster and more comfortable. A picture would go a long ways to identifying it. The engines that had hand crank only went up to 40HP or so. Unless this is a diesel that starts on gas? I was going to guess less than 10K, but googling shows there were some bigger engines with provision for hand cranking. How did the roller turn out?

  2. #2WyoGuy2016-10-16 00:15

    Roller didn't pan out, got outbid at the last minute. Work doesn't bother me, I'm currently working on a '37 Cat 22 that I hauled in a few weeks ago. Seized engine, trashed head, looks like it's been full of water for decades. I'm making good progress on it, hopefully have it running around before spring. If I end up with the grader, I don't know exactly what we'll do with it. We maintain about five miles of dirt and gravel roads on the ranch and we're looking for a faster, easier way than the tractors. If parts are available and inexpensive we might try to fix this one, but we also discussed cutting it down and making a nice land leveler we could run with a big tractor. Either way, we have to get it here first. I'm waiting on the owner to give me a price and I have to figure out how to move it. It's sitting on the flat rear tires and the blade, front wheels are gone. To get it on a trailer, I can't decide if it would be easier to try removing the blade and letting it roll on the wheels and front brake drums, or if I should try to lift the machine and weld some skids or wheels to the blade and let it ride on that. I'll try and attach a photo.