Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with Case 1840 bearing

joetx ยท 2021-02-13 13:16

Hope you guys up north are O.K. Sorry to see the cold weather that has come to you....Been working on my Case 1840. Had an axle go out on me and replaced the bearings with help from you guys. I'm down to closing it up and found that the bearing in the housing that supports the drive motor shaft is completely messed up. I see that it's in two parts, the outer being RBC B24L Spherical Plain Bearing 1-1/2" ID x 2-7/16" OD (from Ebay search), and another that goes inside that that I think is a motor shaft hydraulic needle bearing. I need help taking the RBC B24L out of the housing. I have taken the 1" plug off the back of the housing taken the remains of the needle bearing out. Would like some instructions on how to remove and replace these bearings in the housing. I also need bearing numbers and maybe a good source to find and order them. Thanks for your help.

Replies6
  1. #1joetx2021-02-13 13:17

    Couple more pictures.

  2. #2Midnightmoon2021-02-13 16:23

    Use a punch from the other side and hit with a bfh alternating 90 degrees with each blow. A torch would help if your good and carefully you can slice it

  3. #3Midnightmoon2021-02-13 16:30

    PM your email and I can send parts breakdown. What's the serial number

  4. #4Midnightmoon2021-02-13 19:30

    Part numbers

  5. #5joetx2021-02-13 20:41

    Thanks for the info, where's the easiest place to find these parts online. Is there a case website, or somewhere cheaper? Thanks, Joe.

  6. #6joetx2021-02-25 12:47

    Ok, got my parts from local case dealer. Can you give me instructions on how to put these parts together? I'm thinking of pressing the needle bearing into the swivel bushing, put in one of the washers, then pressing in the bushing/needle bearing into the housing. Is this right? Also, my housing doesn't have a grease fitting. Do I just fill all the area with grease? Thinking of tapping the plug and installing a grease fitting. Thanks, just never done this repair before.