Please help identifying this winch. I believe it to be a Cat winch but the serial number plate is gone. It is supposed to fit on a D6D or C. I need to get some parts but need to know the what it is before ordering parts. Thanks in advance
they pretty much all have the same look from photos but if it is off a D6D it will more than likely be a type 55 for power shift model will be 35u prefix and for direct drive model a 36u prefix
Would think a number stamped somewhere on the winch besides the tag. Did a little researching, could be a Allied unit by appearance. Where the original tag was there should be a stamped number just around that area but on the main case.
I am not sure if it from a 6d that is what ironplanet said. The only numbers I can find are in the bolt on covers.
Second photo along the face of the top flange just about where the green line is, clean off the muck and see if that is not the s/n hiding in plain view.
Post as many part numbers as you can see and we may be able to narrow it down for you.
That's a Cat winch type 55/56 used on the D5's and D6's. 35U556-up for standard speed power shift or 36U381-up standard speed Direct Drive. Identified by the fill tube cast into the side cover plate. Need to further pin it down as there is a Type l, Type ll and Type lll of each model. Also someone has cut off the upper mounting ears as there should be four bolts/studs across the top row.
I was thinking from the original post that Old Magnet could probably identify it in about 3 seconds. LoL There's some really knowledgeable folks on this forum!
Thanks guys for the help. I talked to the mechanic today and he is going to get me pics and part numbers so please check back. I really do appreciate the help from you guys. Like Welder Dave said, a lot of knowledge on here!
OK guys, I got more pics from the mechanic. H also gave me a list of parts with any numbers that were on them. I hope this helps!
A few more
Those part numbers are universal to the #55/56 and don't identify the type l, ll, or lll unit. Type 1, and ll fit the D5 and D6C, Type lll fit D5, D5B, D6C, D6D. You have to get into the internals to tell the difference like different input shafts and inner bearing cage for the input clutch shaft, etc. To many combinations to sort through. I'd suggest you check ebay for a parts book for the #55/56 winch. Have you determined whether it's a power shift or direct drive unit? Power shift initial input speed reduction gearing is 72/71 tooth. Direct Drive initial input speed reduction gearing is 63/80 tooth. The short stub shaft shown on the inner end of the input clutch does indicate it to be a Type lll. Your s/n tag went away when someone cut away portions of the wrap around mounting frame.
Old Magnet, you are amazing. I am going to get with the mechanic tomorrow about it being a power shift or direct drive. I did find a 55/56 manual on eBay for $55 so I am going to order it as well. Thank you again for your help!