Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with Champion 740 hydraulic pump

decee ยท 2012-01-24 21:34

I bought this late 70's grader and it worked well until the hydraulic pump started acting up. I am not the operator. The shaft broke one day and we bought another pump for north of $3000. That shaft broke almost immediately as well. It must be something else causing the damage. Any idea's? Here is the grader and some pictures of the original pump. I googled the numbers and think it may be a Webster pump. Any idea where I can get a replacement shaft? We talked to a guy with a similar grader a few miles away and he said to install a pressure relief valve on the system

Replies13
  1. #1BDFT2012-01-24 21:52

    You have already got a pressure relief valve. It may be stuck closed though. Check the drive coupler or did you replace it when you did the pump. I can't see pressure spikes breaking that shaft.

  2. #2stondad2012-01-24 22:03

    Your friend may be on to something but the system should already have a relief valve in it. I think you are right about "Webster", although I thought "Cessna" when I first saw it. It has a standard SAE flange mount so you should be able to get something cheaper in another brand . Getting the same shaft may be a problem because it is rather small for the size of pump and that may be part of the problem. How is it driven ?

  3. #3Championized2012-01-28 08:13

    You didn't indicate the year or model of your grader, but if your pump is on top of the hydraulic tank, check the tank mounting bolts and the mounts themselves. If one has broken and allowed the tank to drop slightly, you are going to break shafts.

  4. #4562C2012-01-29 07:30

    Good catch, I'll bet you nailed it. It's series one machine from the pics...

  5. #5decee2012-01-31 15:41

    I don't know anything about these. I just bought it to plow a road to our camp ion Northern Ontario. I am relaying messages to the operator It is a model 740. Here are pictures of where the pump mounts. Nothing appears to be out of order

  6. #6562C2012-01-31 18:03

    I think what he was suggesting is that the whole tank that the pump is mounted on top of is loose/low. Maybe running out of line too far as a result? THat gearbox deal migth be causing you a problem too....

  7. #7Diagonal Brace2012-01-31 21:59

    Id be lookin further into that gearbox

  8. #8BDFT2012-01-31 22:11

    If one of those carrier bearings on the other gears is shot it may side load the hell out of that pump drive gear. Voila, broken pump shaft. Pull some of those covers and check for side/end play.

  9. #9Championized2012-02-01 08:09

    For sure it's the gearbox. I had forgotten about the gearbox until I saw the picture. It's been quite a while since I worked on one of those

  10. #10decee2012-02-02 17:43

    I'll have to check that out

  11. #11CatGrader2012-02-05 12:55

    Hate to say this old mate. But there nothing but trouble. fix it sell it and get a cat. TRUE.

  12. #12steveread32012-02-08 22:38

    I am a Champion grader mechanic for one of the last dealers.. A problem I have come across on the series 1 with the gear box, is the bearing wear and then the bearings lose the preload. Then the gear tends to wobble on the pump shaft causing it to weaken. Jade Equipment in Edmonton supplies Champion parts for a good price.

  13. #13ledsel2012-02-18 18:05

    Take that gearbox out and replace with a inline pump set up. Jade should be able to fix you up.