OK, on to the next issues on my basket case JD 310d. It has a pretty bad leak at the back of the engine which is mostly engine oil and a little hydraulic oil. I can look up into the inspection hole and see that the reverser input seal is leaking and I am sure that the engine rear main seal is leaking as well. My first question, can I just drop the reverser and change out the rear main seal? I have done a little research and know that I must have the installer to get the seal and sleeve in correctly, just hoping I don't have to pull the engine? What is the best way to go about this and where is a good place to get the seal and sleeve and installer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also have to re-seal my swing and jack cylinders. Where is a good place to get the seal kits? Thanks, Eric.
Can't help on the rear seal question. But for the tool, check with both the yellow and green dealers. My local yellow dealer let me borrow the front seal installer tool. You pay a deposit they give you a refund when you return it. I've had good luck with HW Parts for all my cylinder seal kits. I've bought 6 kits from them for my 310 with no issues. There's several reputable places online, Bulldog, Hercules, Baum to name a few.
Engine can stay in for the rear seal. The torque converter housing acts as the rear mount so you will need a tall stand to support the engine at the flywheel housing .
Thanks Dave, that is what I was hoping for.