Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help With JD310G Boom Cylinder

JustinJD310G · 2022-11-23 15:48

Hey guys, I need to replace the seals in my Deere 310G boom cylinder. I’ve got it apart up to the point of getting the 2 3/8” nut or bolt off the end of the piston. As the pictures show it has a round groove in the head of the bolt which makes it look like a nut. But the other side of my brain tells me that it must be a bolt that screws in under the rod end or there’d be nothing to hold the rod end in place. I know I have to add some heat to loosen the Loctite but I’d prefer not to cook the whole thing and guess. So can anyone tell me whether it’s a nut or a bolt and where the best place to apply heat is? I have the cylinder manual but my manual doesn’t have the spring apparatus and just has a nut right against the rod end so it’s not much help. Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1Diesel Dave2022-11-23 20:45

    It’s a nut. In your end view picture the cylinder rod is in the centre of the hex nut. I attached the parts breakdown from the Deere parts site.

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-11-23 20:48

    The parts manual is always a big help.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2022-11-23 20:52

    Deere generally did not put loctite on any rod nuts, someone else may have. If you think you need to heat , heat the nut below the hex while pushing the spring out of the direct path of the heat.

  4. #4JustinJD310G2022-11-23 21:31

    Perfect, thank you. That’s exactly what I needed to know.