Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help with leak

rickwey ยท 2020-02-05 13:45

have a 580c 1980 with power shuttle, first off I had trouble with the brake well when I got up the nerve to open up and look inside brake housing I found out it was full of grease, so I figure out how to remove the plate and saw the seal I replace it clean it all up & got it all back together. Brake work for a day then got hard again yesterday I saw rear-end grease dripping out the housing again could the race be the problem this is the second one on that side I have replaced and still leaking

Replies5
  1. #1JL Sargent2020-02-05 16:46

    Once the bearing tolerance is lost, the seal won't last.

  2. #2melben2020-02-05 16:58

    If you are not very careful you can roll those seals very easily, there are special sleeves made to install them that slide clear back to the seal area, some on here use plastic bottles to fashion a protector, others such as myself wrap electrical tape on the shaft and gradually build it up to shaft height so the seal can ride up the taper and into place,, check it out and if it is the right side brake there is also a diff lock seal that leaks also

  3. #3rickwey2020-02-05 18:58

    ok so now question to both of you ,first bearing tolerance does that mean I need to replace the bearing then and race. and second where is the diff seal located at is it behind the plate inside the rear end and thanks for the help i'm new to all this backhoe stuff and trying to do it myself but learning as I go

  4. #4JL Sargent2020-02-05 21:50

    Most likely melben has it figured out with the seal being rolled when it was installed. My comment refers to bearings/seals in general.

  5. #5rickwey2020-02-05 22:52

    oh ok thanks i'll get another one and try that trick then cause it got to be something doing it