I am looking for advice on purchasing a dump trailer that I plan to use to haul my JD 110 and use as my material hauler. My prime mover is a Chevy 2500HD and I am thinking that I can purchase about a 16' Dump Trailer with either 2' or 3' walls to carry my JD 110 as well as use to dump material from a job site with. Does anyone have experience with this setup that I am attempting to use?
Need help with purchasing right trailer to carry a JD 110 backhoe behind a Ch... It would have to be atleast a 14k-16k trailer to handle the 110. Dump trailers are heavy as it is. I use a 14 foot for my skid steer sometimes and it's easy to overload it with 2' side's with dirt. I built sideboards for the bulky stuff and it works good. You will need good tie downs inside since the ones I've seen aren't capable of handling the weight. To do it right I would buy a gooseneck 20-24k trailer. You could do it with a 16k but I think a 20k would be a better choice.
I think the 110 weighs a tick under 8000lbs, so you need to calculate what the trailer will actually carry. If the gvwr rating of the trailer is say 12000 lbs you need to subtract the actual weight of the trailerer from that # and that gives you the carrying capacity. Desertwheeler may be right, a 12000 lb trailer may be do it but it might be marginal at best. Also, check with your local DOT regs as you may need a CDL if you go over a 10000 pound gross trailer.
I made the mistake of buying a bumper pull dump instead of goose neck. It's way too heavy on tongue to load very much. Get a GN for sure.
25 years ago, a neighbor was loading a 450 Case dozer on his trailer behind the 5 yd dump truck. The whole shebang was on about a nine degree down slope. As he rolled on the trailer, the trailer pivoted around the axles and lifted the back of the dump truck off the ground. No parking brakes on the front wheels of the truck, so the whole thing started rolling back down the hill. He eventually rolled off the side of the road and the dozer rolled to the left and trapped his left arm under the ROPS structure. Lost the arm. So don't load on a slope, I would have never thought this could happen, until it did. Your 2500 is not much to tow a hoe and trailer. I moved a 9,000 lb fifth wheel trailer with a 2500, and that was an accident waiting to happed. Only reason I got the job was the guy that already had the job wouldn't do it. I was hungry for a job, so I did. But I really took my time on down grades, put on the flashers, stick it in first and roll 20mph on the freeway. Your tail weighs twice what the dog does....
Thanks for all the feedback as I really have to do some more thinking. I rented a low boy tilt trailer and hauled a Bobcat T650 (approx 9,000 lbs) plus bush hog attachment and trailer weight. I estimate that I was in the 12,000 lb range and towed with no problem; however, I know that a dump trailer is going to be around 4,300 lbs plus 7,300 lbs backhoe for around 11,600 lbs. I guess my main concern now is what KenMac said about the tongue weight being too much....hmmm. I am thinking maybe I can shift enough weight off the tongue with the correct positioning of the backhoe. Although doing this would extend the hoe portion out back of the trailer probably 4-5 feet. Are there any laws preventing hang over?
If the 110 weighs 8000 and your trailer weighs say 3500 and you put 2000 lbs on the hitch your only at 9500 on the trailer axles. So the way I see it a 12000 lb trailer would be 2500 under GVR.
There are laws that require signage and possibly a permit if the items being hauled extend more than 15' from the CL of the rear axle. And the hoe must be secured with chains. If you can demonstrably do that while stowed in the trailer but extending beyond the rear of the trailer, you're good to go.
On my Kaufman dump, it has 15-18% tongue weight. If I load it to 14K evenly, (10,200 load) tongue weight will be 2,100 lbs. or better. I don't know of a receiver hitch rated for anywhere near that weight. Sounds risky to me. Really wish I ws smart enough to have figured this out before spending $7k for my dump.
Class V hitch here is rated at 20,000 and 2,700 tongue weight and just bolts on. http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm
Appreciate all the feedback. I decided to just buy a good used 14,000lbs equipment trailer. Once I read the tongue weight consideration and the heavy tongue weight of a dump trailer, I figured it was too risky to do with my 2500HD. I think I will just look for a 10-12 foot dump trailer now. More trips, but safety is more important than all. I just went online an ordered my a trailer tongue scale to make sure that I don't exceed the 1500 lb tongue weight. Also, I can find the sweet spot on the trailer to load everytime.
I appreciate this info. I've dealt with Etrailer before and will certainly check out this hitch.
Thanks for the link, that's a nice receiver.
No trouble. That was just the first one I pulled up. I know nothing about it other than whats in the add. I did go and look at a couple more today and found one that has a 3,000/30,000 rating. It even has two holes. IE:for a bike carrier and a trailer if needed. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...Duty/2013/TLF1002-30.html?vehicleid=201326610
Thanks for the hitch information and links.