I just purchased a JD 110 Backhoe and it is a new experience for me as I am used to the Ford 655 type. With this hydrostatic transmission, while digging a ditch can you still move/push the backhoe forward or backward like a regular backhoes? I don't know much about these transmissions but heard that you should not pull or push one.
Pretty sure you can drive it forward with a lever or knob from the backhoe position. I haven't ran one in a few years but I could have swore you can move it from the backhoe seat somehow.
Make sure its in low range
When the seat is in the backhoe position if you look to your left there is a lever with I belive a tire symbol next to it, move it towards the front of the machine to move forward towards the back to go backwards, it's a great feature and works well.
Thanks as I will look for that lever once delivered; however, I don't recall seeing that lever you mention when I tested it out. I only saw and used the two foot pedals for moving forward or backward. I am still curious if you can just use the backhoe to lift the back of the tractor and push yourself forward without causing any damage to the tranny.
On that Model there might be a picture of a rabbit and a turtle .To be in neutral the shift lever must be in between . Rabbit meaning hi range turtle meaning low range and neutral in the middle .
Oh sorry I was thinking of a Kubota
Still looking for someone that has experience with JD 110 that can tell me if I can move the backhoe around with either pushing or pulling the machine around while trenching without damaging the hydrostatic transmission. When I used to operate regular backhoes (Ford 655, JD 710), I used the hoe itself to move as I was digging ditches.
The lever when in the backhoe position is on the left towards the rear of machine. When I ran it there wasn't a need to push pull the machine around. I don't remember if you can take it out of 4wd or not but if not I'm gonna say no you can't push or pull with the hoe. Hydrostatics won't move when they aren't powered so you'd be dragging it. But in 2wd you shouldn't have an issue.
I tested one before I bought my L45 and would have bought one if JD would have kept making them (L45 is very similar in almost all the features), it does have a creep mode to move backwards or forwards, handle is just to your left when operating the backhoe, I would not use the backhoe to "pull or push" the machine around unless you put it in neutral which would defeats the creep ability, I do use the hoe to move left or right for better positioning to dig. It does have the power in the hoe to move the tractor around a little, so putting it in 4x4 and locking the parking brake is one way of keeping you from sliding it around when digging in hard ground. I had a JD310 before and yes you could use the hoe to move it but I am pretty sure the manufacturer did not recommend it.
There Has to be a neutral lever . I have never used the drive to move any of our machines while digging .You use the boom to move forward , backward , sideways and you can lift the front of the machine off the ground to steer it . If there is no neutral then lift the machine high enough off the ground with the boom to move it .A simple call to the dealer will tell you were the neutral lever is.
If your are stating that you should be able to put the machine in neutral... yes, you can, the transmission has two neutral locations between 1-2 and 2-3. But the OP bought a hydrostatic transmission medium/small TLB that is considered in the light construction class of equipment, it may not do everything just like one of the bigger backhoes that he has operated in the past did. My L45 is not as capable as my JD 310 I traded in on it.
If you want to move with the hoe, put it in neutral. Do not tow or move with transmission in gear. Use care not too overload the front axle when pushing with the loader, there has been some people that have broken the front axle. These are nice machines, the worst thing about the one I ran was that the engine fan blows heat on your feet.
Thanks for all the feedback. I can't wait to take delivery of mine and begin to experiment with this type. Most definitely different from the bigger machines that I am familiar with. I will look for the creep lever and try that as well as put in neutral and try to use the hoe like I did with larger models. I will watch out and try not to put too much pressure on the front axle too.....that would be really bad to break an axle.
I have noticed working on the 110 series that people have a tendency to bend the frames because of the smooth controls and ability. The machine runs much better than any other TLB of that size that I have ever run. I have worked on a few that people loaded the front bucket to gain breakout force and bent the frame where the backhoe attaches . Also DO NOT PULL THE FUSE FOR THE TRANSMISSION YOU HAVE TO REPROGRAM MACHINE IF FUSE IS REMOVED!
Thanks for all the feedback. Since receiving mine a few weeks ago, I have found the creep feature and like the backhoe so far. I am about to make me a grapple and thumb for the back since it has 3rd aux hydraulics. Are there any tips to keep in mind with hooking up aux hydraulics?