I have a 955l serial number 13x1692 that needs a final drive.i have found a 955l in the junk yard with serial number 85j1225.can someone tell me if the parts will swap over.thanks for any help you can provide I love my 955 and need to get it back working on my farm.
First off, welcome to HEF. There’s a mountain of knowledge here and several members that know a lot about track loaders. I will give you the info that I have access to on SISweb. According to SIS, an 85J is a 955K. And going off of the serial numbers you provided, the final drives are not the same between a 955L and a 955K. One difference I found specifically was the number of teeth on the gear and pinion. Your 13X uses a 1V-8056 upper half and a 3V-1091 lower half. Those two are used on a 85J at roughly serial number 10060 and up. The 85J01225 uses a 5K-6173 final gp. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this vintage of track loader comes along with more advice, I am simply going off of what the book shows for the two serial numbers.
From what I can see the parts from an early 85J machine are not suitable for the later 13X machine. Not only are the gears different as @ahart mentioned but also such a basic thing as the dead shaft is a different Part Number.
Thanks for the help.great to have help
Give Offroad Equipment in Alcoa Tn. a call with the part numbers and they can give you some prices on aftermarket,OEM and probably locate used parts. They saved me a lot on a 13x I built a few years back.
13x have bigger under carriage probably different finals too