Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need info on Internat’l dt466 top end work

seattle smitty ยท 2013-05-03 19:50

When I come here, it is usually on behalf of another fella who has talked me into working on some piece of equipment of his. I'm a welder, know how to wrench on cars, small engines, older outboards, etc., but I know from nothin' about diesels. Project is an older ('93, IIRC) International dump truck with the DT466 2-valve six with mechanical injection. As usual, the owner has no manual. I have done some searching here and elsewhere but can't find the info I want pertaining to an older DT466. Engine was run low on oil; it had a bent pushrod, busted rocker arm. I pulled the rocker shaft, bought a new rocker and pushrod (the others were straight). Got the other rockers re-ground by a machinist who knows his business, and the shaft polished, cleaned up, new end-plugs Loctited in. Looked at the valve stems, spring retainers, and keys. There's one stem I don't much like, but orders are to put the engine together as-is, and we'll see if we're in luck . . . . Here's my question: in looking for headbolt torque info, what I've read would seem to apply only to newer DT466 models with torque-to-yield type bolts. They give you a torque number, but end up with you turning the bolt a further 90 degrees. However, my understanding is that the older motors did not have torque-to-yield headbolts. Therefore, I'm assuming I can re-use the old ones, and just need a final torque number. These are just the bolts that go through the rocker shaft towers. I always torque up in stages, and work from the center outward, if I don't have a torque pattern to work from. Anybody have the torque number for an older DT466? Thanks in advance!

Replies10
  1. #1nevrenufhp2013-05-04 14:32

    165 ft pounds also seen here:

  2. #2seattle smitty2013-05-04 18:57

    Thanks, Modesto; I looked at the build plate, says the truck came off the line Dec. 13, 1988, so I'm supposing the 165 ft/lb figure is still the right one. Thanks again.

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-05-04 19:07

    my Chilton's truck 79-86 book is also showing the 165 ft lbs also, without a three step torque and a later year IH with the same info that nevrenufhp had posted. I have had good luck with the 466's over the years, the dampers seemed to give some issues throwing belts now and then, but a easy fix to change out.

  4. #4seattle smitty2013-05-04 23:33

    Thanks. I generally torque up 'most anything in stages. I wasn't able to read that link on this ancient laptop, but that's okay.

  5. #5nevrenufhp2013-05-05 11:08

    It was a scanned copy of the torquing page I got from the service dept at my local IH dealer.

  6. #6Randy882013-05-05 21:06

    SS, torque in steps from the center out on the head bolts, I can't recall right now where mine is, but maybe some of the others can say for sure, are the bolts dipped in new clean oil before putting them in, that's what I was thinking I did when I did the top end of my 466 a few years back. If it was run low on oil, did you put new main bearings in, to check over to see if the bearings were scored at all and to renew them. Just a suggestion, but I also understand doing what your told since its not yours.

  7. #7seattle smitty2013-05-06 23:22

    Yup, it's not my call. Thanks, fellas!

  8. #8seattle smitty2013-05-10 02:02

    Wait, wait, one more question!! Got it torqued and valves adjusted. My valve cover gasket is the rubber kind. Do you use any kind of goop to glue it to the valve cover?

  9. #9Randy882013-05-10 07:59

    SS, I was thinking mine was a cork gasket, not one of those rubber ones that squirm around and never stay put, so I'm not going to be much help to you.

  10. #10seattle smitty2013-05-11 00:43

    I was advised by the machine shop to glue it to the valve cover with some 3M spray-on weatherstrip adhesive, and then to smear a very thin layer of silicone seal on either the rail on the head or on the bottom of the gasket and let it set up before bolting the cover down. So that's how I did it. Thanks again.