I know very little about old Cat dozers. Found this one and was wondering what year, model and what it might be worth (if operational): Once I get an idea of year and model I can research it further. Probable use, if it's operational, would be to pull a pan. Also, is there a good website or book I can buy that lists older machines with photos? Thanks!
Did you get a Serial Number from it ...?
The only i.d. tag I found (on the side of the winch) reads 31F9548. I saw some more numbers stamped on parts but dont know if they mean anything. For example: 7H9680 is stamped on top of the fuel filter and 8M2848 is stamped near the exaust manifold.
Look's like a D7E 48A series.
Look's like a D7E, 48A series. About early to mid-sixties, D-339 engine@about160hp. Dominion
Look's like a D7E, 48A series. About early to mid-sixties, D-339 engine@about160hp. Dominion
Thanks Dominion, If indeed it is a D7E, 48A series with D-339 engine, how are those machines? How well would it perform pulling a scraper? I'm hoping to get this and a Cat 80 series cable scraper for around $12K. My main concern is maintenance and parts availability.
Nice straight looking dozer there, if its a low HP model they were a bit under powered if anything, Cat 70 would probably be a better match for it. Cheers RDG.
Hig horse or low horse meaning 160 or 180 HP. in my experience it will run out of traction before power. Tried pulling a No. 80 with my D7E here long time ago. Just not enough weight and track on the ground for a No. 80 in my experience. That is why the built the No. 70 scrapers. Perfect size for this machine assuming it is a D7E. The 31F9584 is the right configuraton for a machine serial number but does not match the 48E seriese which was the D7E's. I don't know what the military numbers were on the 7E series. A NO. 80 pan weighs about 29,000 pounds empty. Get it loaded and you are pushing 80,000. Just to much for 40,000 pounds of tractor and the amount of track on the ground at one time. Other wise D7E series is one hell of a tractor. Had one here since 1989 and have used it for scraper tractor tractor as well as dozer for all those years. Only difference is mine is hydraulic rather than cable machine.
If it is a good unit and you can get it for 12 grand, GRAB IT!!!!!!!!!!!
I tracked down the owner of the machine but talked to his wife (she didnt know much about it). I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow to find out more about the machine. She told me the dozer is $10,500 and it needs to go
Well met with the owner tonight. The machine is a D7E and started up nice with a weak battery. It was dark so couldnt see exhaust. Sounded good but it had a leak right off the turbo. There's a band clamp there that is shot. The cable lifted the blade just fine. The undercarriage looks really good. Hardly any wear on the bushings and the sprockets look really good. I dont have a track tool so not sure on exact condition of U/C but the guy said he thinks it's 90% (I think more like 75-80%). The machine has just over 10,000 hrs. Has a different winch box on the back so that explains the serial number not matching up. It's powershift and engaged forward and reverse good. Didnt get to move it more than 5ft because it was dark and raining and dint want to tear up too much ground. I'm definately interested. He wants $10,500. What do you all think?
Good machine by the looks of it. Great match with a 70 or 435 scraper. You can't buy much these days for 10 grand!
this tractor has no hydraulic system, only a cable unit. It has no tilt capability on the blade. That said, when I was young all the dozers were just like that and everything got built with no complaints, but a tilt blade is sure handy now. You might have to string a new cable through it depending on rust? Spend about an hour pushing hard with that tractor and if you can't find anything wrong after that you won't have any reason not to give him 10G. watch finals for leaks (rebuild time), transmission in/out shafts, torque leaks. these are hard to see, have to remove shields to look around, owner might not want to do that especially if you don't promise to put them all back.
Still would be a good idea to know the serial number. They are located on the left rear back of the steering clutch case, left rear side of the engine block and lower right hand side of the dash plate. Does appear to be a good deal.
I don't want to look stupid but just going by the off color and such this looks like an old military dozer......like many of the old ones that would get a new coat of paint just to prevent them from being green anymore. Does anyone have any experience with x military dozers? Are they usually over abused?
Oldirt the blade can be tilled by adjusting the blade support on the left side