Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need information about teeth

BigK75 ยท 2009-09-02 10:24

Hello Folks: Let me introduce myself. My name is Claude and I am from London, Ontario. I am manager for a software company. I am here because my family in Poland has a teeth distribution company and they are looking into expanding into Canada, but more specifically Ontario and then hopefully someday to the US. They have tasked me with gettting information for them. Since I don't anything about teeth I thought this would be a good place. As far as I know this company mainly specializes in teeth for caterpillar and I believe they also deal with esco and hitach but maybe there are others. I am looking for information or even someone to sit down with me and go over some of the questions I have. I am looking for information on teeth for excavators, backhoes, front loaders etc. Specifically I am looking for answers to these questions: 1. Where do you purchase teeth for your backhoes and excavators? - Dealer or Aftermarket? - Brand Name or Chinese or Other? 2. How often do you replace the teeth? - backhoes - excavators? 3. When you replace teeth do you replace only worn teeth or all at the same time? 4. Do you replace the nuts and bolts as well or just the teeth? 5. Do you service the teeth on your machine at the dealer or do you do it yourself? 6. Can you give me a part number of the tooth that you most often order? - What is the price that you pay on these teeth? 7. Do you know of any leads where I could get the top selling teeth for some of the brand name companies like caterpillar/hitachi/esco? 8. If I call some of the excavator companies in London will they even be willing to chat with me to get these answers or will they brush me off. I am not sure how to go about getting this info nor do I feel comfortable approaching companies for this information. Any help you guys could give me would be very appreciated. If you want to send me a PM that would work too. If this not right area for this please let me know. Thanks, Claude

Replies7
  1. #1dirt digger2009-09-02 10:52

    changing teeth is a very simple routine maintenance thing...usually done in the morning before the work starts. Most are as simple as banging out a pin or two and sliding the new one off...every now and then the torch needs to be brought out but not frequently, so to answer your question most if not all people change the teeth themselves rather then a dealer as for how often?...it depends on the material..a job digging in a lot of rock is going to go through more teeth then a job in softer dirt...its really job specific usually all teeth are changed at once...however some only change the outside teeth because they tend to wear quicker and will leave the inside teeth for every other rotation I won't be much help in the "where we buy them catagory" because the company I use to work for was smaller so we would buy our teeth from a small time Amish guy that gave us decent prices really the thing with teeth is that they all do the same thing and for the most part are all the same quality (i say that cautiously)....so more often then not the low price is going to get the business

  2. #2special tool2009-09-02 14:20

    You are looking into selling teeth? I say go for it! You'll make a KILLING in profit. And now is the PERFECT time to get into this business. My tooth seller lives in a castle!

  3. #3BigK752009-09-02 14:47

    Hello Special Tool: Excellent. I would love to live in a castle. Thats what I am trying to find out. Either this is an insane business to be in and don't even pursue it, or it is possible to make a living. I have no ambition to leave my job. I am just trying to help my family. Your input on my questions would be greatly appreciated. Claude

  4. #4kthompson2009-09-02 16:20

    But did he get the castle selling teeth or by marriage?

  5. #5QuickTrax2009-09-02 16:32

    We sell a ton of teeth. We sell a lot of the Hensley# X290, X310, and the X370 standard teeth. We also sell a lot of the Esco# 30S, 40S, and the 45S standard teeth. Most of my customers change the teeth themselves.

  6. #6Partsdude2009-09-02 16:39

    Grab your local yellow pages and look up the big 3 equipment dealers(Cat/Komatsu/John Deere) and ask to be directed to their purchasing agent for Ground Engaging Tools. Everyone is looking for a deal right now - both buyers and sellers. Common part numbers we sell here are : K25WT, K30WT, V43SYL, V43RC, K30RC, V39TVY. I cannot give you any pricing as they seem to be changing weekly - everyone is trying to hold on to what small markets are left and as such are discounting to the dealers hoping they will buy on volume and then hold onto them until the market picks up again. We have had no luck using chinese GET, it seems that the heat treating is insufficient and there have been a lot of fitment problems where the tooth mounts to the adapter. Good luck!

  7. #7BigK752009-09-02 16:50

    This is terrific help guys. I know its not the greatest time due to the economy, but I trying to help them as best I can. Claude