All, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any input. I have a D3B and am wanting to get a larger dozer because I will be clearing about 15 acres of ground that has been in a forestry program for 20 years (emerald ash borer). Anyway, I priced my cat dozer and the guy wants it- so I am in the market. My price range is something less than $40,000. I will keep it for use on the farm after my projects are done and after the big job of clearing trees it probably won't see a lot of work. I am open to any brand but have case equipment and am kind of thinking of something in the case 850 line (I like the 'sweeps'). Again, any input would be greatly appreciated on what might be the best value for the $. Thanks, Sal
OK, its been my experience that your in need of a larger than 100 hp dozer. Don't worry, larger isn't always more expensive in older dozers. Not that a 100 hp cant get it done, but your going to want the added weight and hp of the larger machine. My suggestion for your budget is IH / dresser's td15 c & e series crawlers. Nice ones can usually be found for about 1/2 your budget. Well designed tractors, that were ahead of there time. Oh, btw e is not necessarily newer than c, but e is bigger than c by a couple thousand pounds and 20 - 30 hp. The IH 466 that's found in the early c's is not a bad thing, very good motor. You mentioned that you wanted a dozer, but if there was a nice big track loader around I would seriously consider it as well. Smallest I'd consider is a cat 953, would prefer a 963 lgp model. Clearing is truly one of a track loaders nitches
Stump is correct, in my opinion. A 953 or 963 can be bought in your budget easily and clearing and cleanup is their niche. Also can do any type of Dozer work with one as well.
Thanks, I hadn't considered IH/dresser or a track loader. I will check into them
Thanks for the input
+1 for the 953-963 for clearing...
I like the cat 953, but I think I am going to have to have another dozer with a 6 way blade to work on the waterways. I have a case 1845c skid with a grapple bucket and a backhoe to help with the cleanup...I know there is no comparison to a big track loader. I believe I am having some serious 'sellers remorse'. I hope the guy backs out of buying my d3, I've been looking at used equipment prices- sheesh...
Not an option to get a excavator?
I think that you will find that to get a 6 way blade on a tractor large enough to properly attempt what you want to do you will be limited to late model deere 750 & 850 machines, cat d6m, and other newer more expensive tractors. A better solution is either 2 tractors or familiarize yourself with an angle blade machine. A 130 - 160hp tractor equipped with an angle blade and possibly a winch will do all you want to accomplish. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9830003 Nothing wrong with excavators its just awefully slow tracking one tree at a time across 15 acres. Excavators and clearing are best when you have multiple machines on the job. A hoe tipping, a wheel loader carting them away, then a dozer raking and filling holes. Its fine and dandy as long as you need to keep three machines busy, but all you need is an operator & a loader or dozer somewhere about 40-60k pounds.
I hadn't considered an excavator, but I guess it could be an option. One with a thumb would be handy
I'll take a look at some bigger sizes then, I was wanting to stay in a range that I could move a little easier
chem-man, how much moving are we talking? Also are you hiring it or are you doing it yourself? Found this one as well... http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/hvo/4485832509.html
Small world I guess with the 'net, but I'm 5 miles away from that dozer. If it's the place I think, he's got a bunch of old Farmall/International tractors. For Stumpjumper83 to post it from Pennsylvania, just made me /boggle.
found it on craigslist, the more I look at it I think its an older straight 15, might be better to stay to a c or e model.