Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need More Help S185 Oil Cooler Connections

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2018-02-17 17:33

OK Guys, you have helped me through the other issues as I continue to try and get this Bobcat that I bought back into service. Each new issue that I run into shows my inexperience when it comes to skid steers. I have learned that even if you are a pretty decent mechanic skid steers present their own issues that are new to me. I am making progress, today I finally drove it off of the trailer that it has been sitting on since I bought it about a month ago. Now the hydraulic oil cooler needs replacing. It is not just leaking, it is pouring! However I am not familiar with the type of hose connections that go to it. I am attaching pics for the connections can you Guys give me some help on how to disconnect? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1kshansen2018-02-17 18:57

    Just guessing here but that looks like some king of "quick connect" fitting. Does that collar with the little triangle on it move at all? Looks a bit rusty, I'd start by cleaning around it with wire brush and some penetrating oil. Also that little triangle makes me think it has to be lined up with another mark to let you push it to the right in the top picture. Might need to give it some taps with a small hammer to free up the rust. As there are hoses at each end of cooler might try seeing if they will swivel a bit to free things up. Just don't go crazy and grab a pipe wrench of 10 pound hammer!

  2. #2Bobcat Crazy2018-02-17 19:20

    As far as moving they will rotate 360. I have been able to get them to move in and/or out at all but I didn't have much time to work on it today as it started raining soon after I got it off of the trailer, and I didn't want to pull it in the garage yet because of the bad leak. Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.

  3. #3sims2018-02-18 08:18

    IMHO I think you need some kind of tool to "unlock" that fitting. I think you slide the collar with the arrow (in the direction of the arrow) and that allows you enough space to slip the tool in to unlock the fitting. I think this one just needs a "U" shaped tool to force/press the collar into the fitting to unlock an internal snap ring. Good luck. SimS

  4. #4crewchief8882018-02-18 09:45

    yes it's a quick disconnect, and there is a special tool thats needed. i believe it's called an STC fitting, and bobcat uses a couple different sizes of those fittings. the tool may be available from a hydraulic supplier, or bobcat dealer can order one for you

  5. #5kshansen2018-02-18 09:57

    Well that is a new one on me! But I'm thinking someone could, if in a pinch, make their own tool. Here's a little promo video about them:

  6. #6Bobcat Crazy2018-02-18 16:20

    You Guys are right again. Thanks Sims, CC, and Kshansen. Kshansen I continued to search the web last night until I finally found this same video that you have attached. So it is a STC or "Snap To Connect" made by Eaton. They snap in fast and easy as the video shows but don't expect them to snap out that easy after they have some wear . I did get mine out today and made my own tool after seeing the STC disconnect tools on the web. Do any of you guys know if there is an aftermarket hydraulic oil cooler to fit the S185? (I'm sure that Bobcat is going to be VERY proud of theirs ). I have found a couple on ebay and/or amazon that are advertised to fit it but none of them have the STC fittings. If I can't find a reasonable replacement with that type fitting, I will pull the hyd. hoses and have the cooler end changed. I appreciate everyone's help.

  7. #7kshansen2018-02-18 17:59

    Is there any chance a good welder or radiator shop could fix yours? If you have it out would not cost anything to ask around a few places. Even if they had to cut out one tube and block it off might at least get you going while you looked for a replacement.

  8. #8crewchief8882018-02-18 19:45

    Earlier coolers had -12JIC connections. When bobcat switched over to the STC the hose ends for the non cooler end also changed to STC Changing the cooler to an earlier JIC also means changing hoses and the fittings on the other end. To add to the confusion at the filter end there are filter heads with both vertical and horizontal ports. Id be willing to bet the cooler is leaking at the large plug thats brazed into the large tube. A good radiator shop may repair it. Bobcat parts does have the STC seal kits available.

  9. #9Bobcat Crazy2018-02-18 20:11

    It is leaking where one of the tubes goes in to the tank, but you are correct, it is at the filter end. I will check with the radiator shops around, We use to have one of the best the could fix almost anything you took to them. But when the old man died (probably 20 years ago)(man I must be getting old, talking like that) anywho when the son took over all he wanted to talk about was selling a new one. So I probably haven't been there is 10 years or more. But I will check with them on this one, it is made out of heavy metal much heavier than a radiator so they may be willing to fix it. Thanks for the idea Guys, I had not even given that a thought. CC, you must be a Bobcat expert, it seems that you know everything about them and their history.

  10. #10crewchief8882018-02-19 17:12

    well, ive been working at const eq dealers for over 30 years now., ive been a field mechanic for 20 years. i started working at a bobcat dealer in '84, went to a couple other brand dealers, (including a deere const dealer for 10 years), and have been at my current, (and last) bobcat dealer for 20 years..

  11. #11Bobcat Crazy2018-02-19 23:13

    So That is why you have the answer to all of my BC questions. Thanks for all of your help.

  12. #12Bobcat Crazy2018-02-19 23:56

    Another small update on the bobcat. Hey I got another item marked off of the list today. I repaired the wiring harness with a plug from the local auto salvage yard. (thanks Guys I had never thought of that). I was successful in figuring out which position each wire went, I picked up the lap bar safety switch components from the Bobcat place and now I can hear the contact click when I lower the bar and the lights on the control panel light up when I push the button on the left side. I have one big item left which is the leaking hydraulic oil cooler which is pouring. I checked with Bobcat today and a new one is only $395 which is much less than I thought that it would be. I will try having the old one repaired tomorrow and if no luck there I will purchase a new one from Bobcat. I'm sure that I will have some smaller issues when I actually get it to where I can start using it but solve them as they arise. Thanks for all of the help Guys it would have been much harder to figure out without all of your help. I think that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and I certainly hope that it is not the train coming Have a good night All, B-Crazy