Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need more lights.

pondo ยท 2014-11-06 22:33

Hello. Any bobcat guys upgrade their lights to led s? There are post about full sized machines. but my 2011 BC E32 I believe has 2 -37w lites. I was thinking of putting lights on each side of boom and keeping one from base of cab...i think the Led choice would be 27w. Has anybody done this upgrade yet? Would love to just cut out current ones and replace with 3 new leds. The one in base of cab is little complicated as its molded in..the off the shelf choice would not easily work...plus i would be over on draw if I install 3 27w lights. Thxs

Replies13
  1. #1Ronsii2014-11-07 00:54

    I have put a few led setups on various machines, first find out how much power is available to the current lights either by wire size/relays/fuses or measure them with an amp meter, after that you can decide whether or not to run a relay or just wire them in. Remember power(watts) = volts X current(amps) so a single 27 watt led will draw about 2.25 amps at 12 volts... you can cut the draw in half when working on 24 volt system because the leds electronics convert whatever voltage you feed them to a fixed voltage the leds can use which is real handy on those machines that you can't find replacement 24volt sealed beams for Most of the machines I have worked on had a relay or two that controlled the lights with the specs printed on it, which model/year are you working on?

  2. #2pondo2014-11-07 07:59

    Thxs. Running bobcat E32 mini ex. I am 99% sure it's 12 v as only one battery. there currently is two 37w lights according to manual. would like to not run more wires and switches if I can help it. Has anyone found lead sealed beam style for base of cab light? My idea is to upgrade two existing light to lead reduced wattage and use the saved wattage for a new third one.

  3. #3Equip Junkie2014-11-07 11:12

    I added two Rigid lights on the front of my T770 and 2 on the back. I wired them directly into the exsisting lights. I haven't had any issues with them. They don't draw to much. Similar to what is on this link: http://www.tdotperformance.ca/rigid-industries-50215-d2-wide-set-of-2-green.html Equip

  4. #4pondo2014-11-07 11:34

    Thxs. My truck supplier recommend Grote Select flood lite 600 lumens $30...Going to try that as $$ always seem to go out faster than in

  5. #5joispoi2014-11-08 03:15

    Good choice. I priced out Hella lights for my mini and then came to my senses. I bought some LED's off of ebay and they give more than enough light. Low branches, theft and vandalism are reason enough not to overspend on lights.

  6. #6kb9tci2014-11-12 12:17

    We switched out the OEM lights on our Case backhoe and talk about turning on the daylight! Got some cheapies off of Amazon and they worked fantastic. I was skeptical at first (reason for buying off Amazon), but they are worth their salt! They can be ordered in spots or floods. I went with floods, but I think I will add some spots on the front. http://www.amazon.com/TMH-Square-Sh...im_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KXS5B7F1XPCA0RR8JRQ http://www.amazon.com/TMH-Square-Sh...im_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PKS9JSBJT1DS2WT9QS7

  7. #7Initium2014-11-12 16:08

    Not sure if the Swedish made TYRI ligths are awailable in the US. Made to fight the Arctic Winters... From my pow, best there is. Price-wise like HELLA; but twice the light outcome... very robust and sturdy...

  8. #8Pzilly2014-11-14 02:33

    I added several Kawell LEDS off amazon to my 303.5, I put 2 of their slim lines on the top support of the cab, but tucked back under the canopy, this took the factory halogen out of harms way, I then placed one on the beacon tab facing rearward which gives just the right light for looking back, then replaced the boom light, finally I plasma cut the shroud on the house right below my feet ( I think certain bobcat have one in this location) and added one there with a lexan cover, everything is now light up, protected, and drawing less power then the 2 factory halogens, and if you break one its not a huge deal. Worth noting, when I did this I made brackets for any light that I attached to the ROPS, most brand void your warranty if you even put a screw into the ROPS, let alone drill or weld on it, once had a friend void his by putting 2 self drilling screws in it to mount a fire extinguisher, doesn't sound like a big deal till you go to trade it in and the unit is worth 2k less, so make brackets you can use factory bolts through or mount off something other then the ROPS. I even made a diamond plate radio mount that hooks the ROPS, but just bolts to the canopy. You can also use hose clamos, or make tension bands of out flat steel. Just a heads up.

  9. #9204saskman2014-11-14 20:52

    I got 3 of them on my sk35sr kobelco. Awsome light. Now I just need a cab and heater lol. Maybe that will be my winter project.

  10. #10Reidler2014-12-15 01:24

    I put 5 on my bobcat 323 and the light is amazing! When all the lights are on it's like daylight. Mounted 2 just below the top glass on the ROPS and two behind my head facing downward on each side of the house. Best thing I ever did. Just get cheap ones from eBay but buy them in multiple lots. Also make sure you use the flood models and not the spots.

  11. #11Ronsii2014-12-15 14:30

    Be careful on some of the china/HK sellers, I have bought from a few and so far most... but not all have shipped the same quality and I am extremely happy with them, however a few sellers with high rep numbers have sent me some garbage leds with plastic housings and bad electronics even though their descriptions and pics match what the rest of the sellers are posting. So just a word to the wise usually I order a 'test' order to see just what they will send you.

  12. #12pondo2014-12-21 17:20

    Reidler. Were you able to just tie into existing light system or did you have to run complete new from fuse box? Lights sound great. Good job.

  13. #13Reidler2014-12-22 11:42

    I just tied into the existing switch. My light switch has 3 positions so I just used a couple of those. Piece of cake because the LED's draw way less current so the system can handle it without any problems.